Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grill Question

Options
I keep hearing people talk about cooking "raised direct" or "raised indirect" and would also like to cook burgers, wings, etc without burning or drying out. Are there other options available if I am too cheap to go out and drop the money on an Adjustable Rig? I heard fire bricks work. Any suggestions on placing them inside egg and how many?
Atlanta, GA

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You can buy a weber grid and 3-4 bolts and make one like this image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    imageimage
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Two great replies so far

also you can put 3 cans between two grill grates, using the cans as "legs"
    Balls of foil work
    if you have a spider rig, you can turn it upside down on your fire ring

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Direct vs. Indirect is accomplished using the plate setter. Plate setter in is indirect (i.e. something between the heat source and what you're cooking). No plate setter is direct. Raised typically means raising the cooking level above the gasket level. Many people use a raised indirect setup for pizza cooks but most indirect cooks are done with the cooking gird at the gasket level (i.e., not raised).

As others have said, there are many "homemade" solutions to get a raised set up. @Mattman3969's post shows what could be used as both a raised and multi (2) level cook.

As far as moisture retention, the egg excels in this area and about the only way you're going to dry anything out is if it's overcooked (or not a quality piece of meat to begin with).

And... welcome to the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I made three of these out of scrap tubing. Been using them for 4+ years. Couple of bricks would have been easier, but if I drop one of these, I won't break anything. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @CarolinaQ, great idea, might have to add that to my arsenal. :)>-
    Large, small, and a mini
  • dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    Options
    I made three of these out of scrap tubing. Been using them for 4+ years. Couple of bricks would have been easier, but if I drop one of these, I won't break anything. :)

is there a lip on the other exterior of the fire ring on these as well?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks. If you do it, rather than cutting off the tabs as I did, I would suggest bending them outward so they rest on the fire ring. Would probably be a little more stable that way. These are ok, but a little wobbly.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I don't have picture at the moment, but I use 3 of those 1/2 bricks pictured above. They are called splints I believe. I bought them at a brick manufacturer. I just spread them around evenly and then place the ss grid on top of the bricks. Works great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I use 3 "fire bricks" from Home Depot. They only cost .47 a piece and have held up nicely. I always make sure to use caution when putting the grid on them though - as others said, if they fall in they could crack the fire ring, etc. If you're worried about them falling in you can always put 1 grate in normal and then the bricks with the second grate on top of it - if that makes any sense and assuming you have 2 grates. I have the regular grate that comes with the egg and a CI grate. Here's a decent pic that you can see the bricks in action:

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• brock9281
    brock9281 Posts: 64
    Options
    All great replies...much appreciated! Any input on the Woo 2?
    Atlanta, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    dmarois said:
    Yep. However...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    dmarois said:
    Yep. However...

Very nice idea...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    brock9281 said:
    I use the old version of he Woo3 and it works great. The only difference between the 2 and the 3 is that with the 3, you can put a pizza stone in the bottom section to do indirect instead of using your Platesetter. I use my Woo all the time and it was definitely a worthwhile purchase for me.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    brock9281 said:
    I use the old version of he Woo3 and it works great. The only difference between the 2 and the 3 is that with the 3, you can put a pizza stone in the bottom section to do indirect instead of using your Platesetter. I use my Woo all the time and it was definitely a worthwhile purchase for me.

Can you add an additional, raised grid on the woo3?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I use my homemade (pic above)one all the time on top of my woo3 if I need multi levels

analyze adapt overcome

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    I use 3 fire bricks .
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I had good success with 4 beer cans set on the fire ring.  Can't remember who on here suggested it but it worked.  I actually smashed one end flat and slid it in between the fire ring and the egg and the just put the grate on and pushed down until it sat nice and level.  But, I love the square tubing idea above.  Go that way if you can.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    I use my homemade (pic above)one all the time on top of my woo3 if I need multi levels

Do you keep the raised grid on all the time? If not, is it pretty easy to remove or does it get gummed up or rusted?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I use it when I am doin 2 proteins with different cook times or when I need extra grid space. Since I bought the woo3 the homemade grid sees a lot less action so it is generally tucked away in my gasser. I coat it every once in awhile with cooking spay so rust isn't an issue. It works good for getting pizza up high in the dome.

analyze adapt overcome

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Thanks. If you do it, rather than cutting off the tabs as I did, I would suggest bending them outward so they rest on the fire ring. Would probably be a little more stable that way. These are ok, but a little wobbly.
    You should make and sell those.  I bet you could make them for next to nothing and sell them for a few bucks each. 

I used to use some cut pavers on the fire ring to prop up the main grid, but I got in on a group buy of swinging grill extenders and bought a webber fire grate as my "upper deck".
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +3 homemade. I use mine a great deal of the time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL