Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: The new "mancave"

Options

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think it looks like a great room but is it really a man cave if the swmbo designed it.  I kind of like the old furniture in the garage where you can sit on the furniture without getting heck for having oil, grass or whatever on your clothes.  Beer fridge and a dart board and you are getting fancy.  Like I said looks like a great room and your wife has good taste but not a man cave if you have to act all civilized to use it.

Gerhard
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    great looking man cave. i have started my sonos system with a play 3. love it. i can't wait to outfit my tv with the play bar and sub.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Man o Man this is a Killer set up !!!! Are you within the 300 ft Maverick range? I am sure you thought of that....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    Extremely nice!!! I got my basement finished but its not complete. I havent decide on the flooring yet. I may go with wood like you. I have a spot for my pool table as well. I had my contractor install the plug for the hanging light. You ave a beautiful set-up. 

It isn't wood at all. it is actually a vinyl plank flooring. We went with this style of floor for several reasons.

• hondabbq
    Options
    Is the urinal and toilet over carpet or concrete? I can't tell in the pics. If the former, that's a recipe for disaster. 

Also, I'd consider tiling behind the urinal. Bowhunr is right, men are pigs.
    My guess is stained concrete.  Otherwise, it will become pee-stained carpet :)
    That's what I was thinking. Hopefully sealed too or it will get that stadium "je ne sais quoi"
    You are both incorrect. It is vinyl sheet flooring to resemble stained concrete, but it has a much softer feel under foot, obviously.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2014
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    I think it looks like a great room but is it really a man cave if the swmbo designed it.  I kind of like the old furniture in the garage where you can sit on the furniture without getting heck for having oil, grass or whatever on your clothes.  Beer fridge and a dart board and you are getting fancy.  Like I said looks like a great room and your wife has good taste but not a man cave if you have to act all civilized to use it.

Gerhard
    It has a huge TV, bar, and pool table...AND a urinal.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hondabbq
    edited March 2014
    Options
    gerhardk said:

Gerhard

As I said in the OP my wife and I designed it for our tastes.

There are a lot of "manly" things to make it a Mancave. the 70" tv, all the technical set up for the sound system, the pool table, beer fridge, casting couch, and of course the urinal.

And one other thing that isn't in the pics, is the sausage table. this is in the mechanical room where now I can make my meat stix, Canadian back bacon and slab bacon, salami, and who knows what ever else.

My guess on the different styles is that some people like to stay at a Super 8 Motel and others like to stay at the Trump Towers.

• hondabbq
    Options
    Man o Man this is a Killer set up !!!! Are you within the 300 ft Maverick range? I am sure you thought of that....
    But of course.
  • hondabbq
    edited March 2014
    Options

I thank you all for the kind words on our renovation.

We had several contractors come to estimate the work and I even went so far as to get one from Home Depot. We went with HD, they came in 20+K less than the other bids. Plus they have the backing of the HD name. There is an individual company that does all the renovations through HD here. There are 4 in the area.

He did a super job. He actually asked us if he could send his sister in law over who is a professional photographer to take pics to put into a "brag book" that he wants to put in each store to show off his work. He wants us to be the front pages. Apparently he has had this idea for a while and just never followed up on it.

I will post a few more pics of the room when the pool table gets in and we actually get some stuff up on the walls .

Again thanks to all for the kind words. We are quite proud of our new space.

PS. 2 years ago my wife bought me 2 lightsabers for my birthday, not the toys are us kind but the real ones. If you would like Gerhard I can put those up in the bathroom to "man it up" a bit

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    It is over the top fantastic. Great job!
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • hondabbq
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I like what you did with the bar, I think my wife and I might have to do the same just because a walk behind may take up way to much room.  Great man cave, very nice touch with the fireplace.  I am more partial to huge speakers and glowing tubes but the clean look you have looks great.
    Plus this style of bar is self serve. I was a bartender when I was 18. If your drinking my booze go and get it yourself. LOL.
  • hondabbq
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth it looks infrared, you can see the panels through the window.  I have been wrong before though.

@TexanOfTheNorth it looks infrared, you can see the panels through the window.  I have been wrong before though.
    It is infrared. This the one thing SWMBO wanted in the space. If I was getting all the stuff I wanted she just wanted the sauna.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I will definitely keep my wife from seeing this post! She's already pissed that I rolled my motorcycle into the spare basement bedroom before winter hit.

Congrats. Looks really nice!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    hondabbq said:

And one other thing that isn't in the pics, is the sausage table. this is in the mechanical room where now I can make my meat stix, Canadian back bacon and slab bacon, salami, and who knows what ever else.

We want to see pics of this!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hondabbq
    Options

This room still isn't cleaned up and ready to use yet. It should be done in a week or two. There isn't really much to show in there. It is just a stainless table I bought from work and all my charcuterie supplies. I eventually would like to put a wash basin in there, and a fridge for curing etc so it can be a 1 room operation. For now I will still have to take the stuffers etc upstairs to wash.

I was doing it upstairs in the kitchen. Not enough table space on the island and the stuffer wasn't bolted down. That will be done soon as I am currently out of meat sticks.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Mechanical Room with a Sausage table....   :-?  I don't know why I can't stop thinking this will be where you cut people up like Dexter.  >:)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Nice looking space. Mine isn't near that fancy, but I love having a man cave/play room for the kids. I just finished paying mine off last week. That was a great feeling!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Sweet! If ever do one I'm putting a urinal in too.

I always said if I won the lottery I wanted to put one in. When I mentioned it to SWMBO she was like "yeah we should". Sometimes I think I already won the lottery.
    I guess it comes down to who cleans the caibo. We do tend to aim badly after a few eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    ya but you'll have to excavate the floor to accommodate the u-bend/plumbing below the urinal, or have a built-in step stool  :D  sorry bud, can't help it!
    They have ones that are all urinal too. Like public school

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Another Idea is a Depends dispenser...Problem solved..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I'm a man the world is my urinal. Actually only my back yard and the lake when if consumed a case of beer.

But WOW that's a sweet cave, I would never let my idiot friends over again if had that. Just me with my hand resting in between my belt and gut after I had a great meal and the other Hand holding a scotch. Also sports will be on 24/7.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    that's what I call a "Mammoth Man Cave".
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bravo! I would rarely surface with a space like that. Very nice indeed. 

It would be topped only by a walkout patio space where the eggs would live. SWMBO wouldn't see me for days methinks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    We are currently finishing our basement as well. Still throwing out ideas, so I just went and floated the idea of a urinal in the bathroom to my wife. It did not go well.

I guess it won't be an official Man Cave.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2014
    Options

Ain't that what the sink is for?
    =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    very nice!

I've just been peeing on my wall.  I think the urinal is brilliant. Will put one between me and the wall.  ;)
    Options
    Ain't that what the sink is for? =))
    Yep.  Showers work too. :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • hondabbq
    edited March 2014
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    Ain't that what the sink is for? =))
    Yep.  Showers work too. :D

Mike

I remember reading a couple things in years past about peeing in the shower.

Oprah said she pees in the shower to save water. By peeing in the shower you are saving the flush water and seeing its already going down the drain.

Peeing in the shower also will help prevent foot fungus. I guess if you take aim and shot it at your feet.

Everybody keeps that little vault of absolutely useless information.

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Love the urinal, they cant complain about the seat being up!