Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reheating butts?

Options

I am cooking a few butts for my sister this weekend so she can take them on a ski trip, she needs dinner for 20. I have not had to re heat whole butts before. She will be re heating in a slow cooker or whats the best way, and does the bark get "soggy", I saw to add coke but we also make a home made sauce that we put on after, should I just use this instead of the coke? @DMW

Do I need to cool these down after pulling quickly?

Let it cool down then vacuum pack?

Sorry, sounds like some pretty dumb questions but I want the re heat to turn out good for her.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Or should I leave them whole and she can re heat in the oven?
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I pull the butt and then put in a large pot on the stove and add BBQ sauce and bring it up to temp like that the only thing wrong with that is all the pulled pork has sauce on it some people prefer the pork with no sauce ,thats how I do it and it works good for me 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    That was my concern, the sauce is great, but yes, some prefer it with out.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    so maybe you can set some aside and reheat in a vacume pack bag in hot water 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    Pork is pretty forgiving. I pull them and put them into large foil pans. when you are ready to reheat, add a small amount of water to the bottom of the pans, cover will foil and throw them in the oven at 400F until warm. The water will stem the pork and revive it. It will be tender and juicy again. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Another steam fan here, though I've never done it in large trays in the oven. I just use one of those collapsible steamer things in a saucepan with a little water. Just takes a minute or so. My steamer is only good for a few servings... not very large. Craig's idea sounds good for larger quantities. I've tried a number of different methods and much prefer steaming. Not as good as fresh off the grill, but sometimes you have to reheat. Oh, and IMO, adding Coke is the absolute worst. Yuk!!

Pull the butt while it's still fairly hot from the egg. If you decide you will reheat bags of it in simmering water, go ahead and vac seal. If you're going to steam as I do  (or Craig does), no need to waste vac bags, just use zip locks. Try to keep as much air out of the packaging as possible. It can dry out fairly quickly.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut