Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anxiously awaiting arrival

Options
Buzz
Buzz Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After lurking here for quite some time, I've just learned that my new Large BGE should be here early next week. Delivery has been complicated and taken a few weeks longer than I'd hoped, but the wait will soon be over. Yippee!

I've mostly done Weber gas grilling and smoking with an electric smoker before now. Moving to charcoal is a big leap.

The arrival just before Thanksgiving does raise a bit of a dilemma. I've stocked up on lump and plan to use my Maverick ET-73 from my other smoker.

I would *love* to try Egging up a turkey breast for our Thanksgiving dinner, but I'd sure hate to have a spectacular failure on my first outing. Best case, I might only have a chance to try it once before T-Day.

What say you? Dare I try the turkey with little or no practice?

On a similar note... I'm open to suggestions on getting started and the first few meals. After dropping some serious money on this thing with accessories, I'd really like to start off with some decent results.

Thanks.

Comments

• TideJoe
    Options
    I would cook a whole chicken or a pork tenderloin early next week just to give you a good introduction to cooking with charcoal and smoke on something that takes more than 20 minutes to cook. A whole chicken will take in the 2-3 hour range and a tenderloin in the 30-45 minute range at temps around 280-300F. This should give you a good foundation on controlling lower temperatures and using smoke etc. Let us know how it turns out.
  • Buzz
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm working all week next week, our Thanksgiving celebration will have to wait for Saturday. Anything that gets egged will be limited to an after work cook.

Looks like either steaks, burgers, or pork tenderloin. Thinking about it... the pork sounds best and would give me a chance to get the Egg to temp and holding it there for a little while.
  • Buzz
    Options
    Shoot... just got a delivery update and it wasn't good news.

At the earliest, delivery will be the week after Thanksgiving. Too bad. I'll be out of town for work for a couple of weeks.

It will be torture to know that my long-awaited BGE is sitting idle at home while I'm gone.

I hate the thought that it could be JANUARY before I really get to use it. Ugh!