Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Concrete in my charcoal!

Options
Boatswain
Boatswain Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Picking out all the keeper pieces of lump on a routine cleaning and found these, lump concrete! I've only ever used BGE brand lump!
Anyone else find this or anything that shouldn't have been in a bag of lump?image

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, fairly common.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I find the same in my royal oak. @henapple will be along to rub it in. 3.2....
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have also found concrete in my BGE lump before. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I found a whole cigarette wrapper the other day (pre cook), yesterday it was chunks of clay. \:D/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Rocks, concrete, etc- I have a growing rock garden in the back yard with all the ones I have found
    Greensboro, NC
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I found 1 piece in say maybe 10 bags of Royal oak
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    grege345 said:

I find the same in my royal oak. @henapple will be along to rub it in. 3.2....

1...get some Ozark Oak. The only thing I've ever found is perfection. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Moon Rocks I find them quite often! Like a box of Cracker Jacks a prize in every bag of lump!!!! =D>

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I sometimes I like a chunk of "Portland" mixed in for a little of bite on the smoke.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Yep, it's common. Even in BGE lump.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    I have a good pile going from Royal Oak I have been using lately. I found metal bands/straps in the one and only bag of Cowboy I tried.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Someone found a whole wheel bearing a while ago
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Found pretty frequently in BGE lump, but have only found 1 piece since switching to Rockwood (I believe there's a good joke in there, or at least some decent irony, but my brain is too tired to figure out how to take advantage).
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    These are examples of one of the reasons why I switched to Rockwood.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Save them all in a spot in your garden
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I find small rocks all the time. I guess some of them could have been concrete. I don't worry about it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    4Runner said:
    These are examples of one of the reasons why I switched to Rockwood.

Hey, thanks for the loyalty, but we're not immune to any of this stuff.......lots of things can and will make their way into charcoal bags.  A charcoal covered rock looks a lot like a chunk of charcoal.

From our FAQ's:

Why did I find something in my bag that isn’t charcoal?

Sorry about that! We strive to remove all foreign matter during the bagging process, but sometimes pieces sneak by.

Why? Well, a lot can happen to a tree in its lifetime. People sometimes nail items to them, shoot at them, or run fencing around them. And because trees are constantly growing, objects lodged in trees can easily become encased, creating “knots.” Knots are undesirable in the lumber industry, so they’re often made into charcoal. Objects often remain grafted inside the charcoal chunks, which is why they’re only found once the charcoal becomes ash.

If you’ve found an object in your charcoal, please tell us! Some customers have found arrowheads, coins, and other fun “prizes.” If it’s anything of value, we’ll gladly take it off of your hands!

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Keeping a rock collection of what I've found. Hoping to some day find the Holy Grail in my lump - a bullet. I figure people shoot into trees all the time.
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    After 17bags of rockwood, I finally found a chunk of clay... It was the first foreign object in all that lump. Love it, best in the business
    Beaufort, SC
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Pfft... worried about a rock or two in a bag of lump?? :-/
    These companies have front end loaders, skimming the ground, loading the hoppers.
    I think they do a great job keeping a few pebbles out of the mix. =D>
    Whats the debris weigh??? 1/4 oz?? Or less?
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited March 2014
    Options

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    the only thing that bothers me is the plastics... gives me an uneasy feeling espicially if its off gassing throughout the cook
    Beaufort, SC
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I tend to push remaining lump up the side, pour new and keep going .. one of these days I'm not going to be able to get my temp up and it will be that i have an egg full of moon rocks.
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options

I wish a few strange objects in a bag of lump were the only problems in life!!!

Gator Man

:-c

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Funny that it is in the BGE brand, since it is supposed to be "hand picked' :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    BGE Brand = Royal Oak

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I found metal bands/straps in the one and only bag of Cowboy I tried.
    That's so you can go out mending fences after cooking.

:)
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    njl said:

:)
    They dont call it cowboy for nothing... lol

Beaufort, SC
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    That's funny I burned ten bags of Cowboy last year and found 2 rocks. I just used some of my recently acquired Rockwood this weekend and that is some amazing charcoal. A few rocks, left over barbed wire or bullets aren't going to bother me! It's more like treasure!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

njl said:

Those bands are what binds the slab wood together.  The go in the kilns with the bands on them, then the bands get pulled out.  They break during the kilning, as the charcoal is removed from the kiln.  Usually they pull right out as one or a few long pieces, but if they break in smaller pieces, they're hard to find.

Also, it's not uncommon to find barbed wire, chicken wire, or other livestock fencing in charcoal.  That stuff gets wrapped around or affixed to trees, then the tree grows around it over decades.  It's inside the tree, and inside the charcoal then.