Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg is too greasy

Options
I coked on my egg all winter long ( 3 to 4 days out of the week)  I have this week off and my wife wanted me to do some house work so vacuumed out the egg and there was a thick tim of black grease.  So i used oven cleaner on the vent camp and decided to do a clean burn on the egg.  

Well folks that didn't work normally there is a nice white as nut on this time the grease just turned into sludge and i had to us a rag and my oveglove which now are toast.

has anyone had this happen to them before. 
A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
Canada
Large @ Small BGE 

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    not using a drip pan???  Scrape out as much as you can with a steel putty knife, then do a CB again.
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Maybe it wasn’t burning hot enough for long enough?

If you’re determined to clean it up (I don’t think there’s a need for a “white as nut” interior),  you might as well do a clean burn all over again, I sometimes let lump/wood burn itself out after I cook some pizza, and most of the grime and buildup gets totally carbonized and falls off or is very easy to dislodge/clean when left burning at about 650° for an hour of two, I’ve heard of people messing up their bands when they let the Egg get too hot for a long time, so I’d advise to try to stabilize @ 650° which in my experience has been enough.

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Why worry about it?  Mine is grimy and black and that's just the way I like it. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Your what? =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

The bed of my pickup truck of course

:ar!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Personally I think you just didn't let it rip long enough. When I do a burn out I make sure I have enough burning lump to let it burn for several hours plus I let it burn out overnight and not try to limit the temperature...meaning bottom vent wide open and no dome restriction. One thing I do suggest is remove your dome thermometer so it doesn't get messed up.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    RRP said:
    Personally I think you just didn't let it rip long enough. When I do a burn out I make sure I have enough burning lump to let it burn for several hours plus I let it burn out overnight and not try to limit the temperature...meaning bottom vent wide open and no dome restriction. One thing I do suggest is remove your dome thermometer so it doesn't get messed up.
    Good call!  i always for get to do that.  i just figured how to adjust the thermometer baseline

Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    not quite sure what you mean about adjusting the thermometer baseline, but if that has to do with that spring clip on the backside I really suggest you remove it once and for all and throw it in the trash! Gravity will hold your thermometer in your dome! No spring clip is needed! That way if you have a turkey or whatever huge piece of meat in your egg then that meat will not be impaled nor will your thermometer probe get bent.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    For me the best reason to remove the spring clip is so you spin the some thermometer. I turn it so whatever my target temp will have the needle going straight up, that way I can check from inside.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    RRP said:
    not quite sure what you mean about adjusting the thermometer baseline, but if that has to do with that spring clip on the backside I really suggest you remove it once and for all and throw it in the trash! Gravity will hold your thermometer in your dome! No spring clip is needed! That way if you have a turkey or whatever huge piece of meat in your egg then that meat will not be impaled nor will your thermometer probe get bent.

Acn said:
    For me the best reason to remove the spring clip is so you spin the some thermometer. I turn it so whatever my target temp will have the needle going straight up, that way I can check from inside.
    Those are both great ideas. I knew there was a reason I keep reading stuff on here.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sorry i calibrated the dome thermometer to 100 deg C
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I use the spring clip as something to attach the alligator clip on the BBQ Guru controller to.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Isn't the greasy black stuff the stuff that provides the flavor? or maybe that's the charcoal.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius.