Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre Cook a Butt for Fest?

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
I am wanting to do an item at an Eggfest with pulled pork. Would it be wrong for me to pre-cook the butts and pull, then warm at the fest, assemble the product and then serve to the guests?
My concern is time. If I pre-smoke the butt, it allows me more time at the fest for other items. Looking to serve over 100 of these.
Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd do it
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem, just minimize the time it's in the danger zone (40*F-140*F). Both when cooling and when reheating.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Options

Working on the flavor profile of the glazes and a BBQ sauce. Trying different proteins and delivery methods. (No buns this time)

Both pulled pork or a shredded chicken may work. I would think 15lbs net of pork would be a more efficient cook than 15lbs net of chicken. And more roust in the flavor profile.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    Opps, meant to type robust.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I see both Butts and Brisket served at our Eggfest that way.  You can bring back up to temp in about 2.5hrs in most cases.  As mentioned just be safe with meat at all times.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Hotch
    Options
    Bring back to what temp you think before the pull?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Just off the top of my head, those little flower shaped crispy French things like tostidos cups, a teaspoon of pork, some slaw and a few beans?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hotch
    Options
    Thanks. Pulled Pork, I believe it will be.
    Third run for the all of the sauces and toppings tonight or tomorrow to narrow it down to the two. Looking at a nice aioli and Q sauce with the flavor profile. Hopefully we can nail it.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sounds like a winner.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I made Brisket Chili for the eggfest in atlanta and cooked the brisket the day prior, cut it into cubes and made the chili at the fest. That worked great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hotch
    Options
    @Mickey Will we be seeing you at the Athens EGGfest?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    We have a winner!!!
    We will be serving Baja Wave Tequila Lime Tacos.  image
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Nice. And nice pool too.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    @Hotch, can't wait to try your new creation in Athens!!  Sounds great.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.