Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal oak charcoal sale at wal mart

Hello folks. FYI. For those eggers in San Diego or Southern California or maybe even everywhere, there is a sale on the 17.7lb bag of royal oak for $8 at wal mart. I believe it will go on until this Friday or Saturday. Usually the 8.8lb bag is normally under $7 at wal mart.

Just wanted to let you folks know unless you already knew. Thanks.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I'm here in the SFV. I'm on it. Thanks.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    we have it in North Carolina as well...load the boat!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I went Friday and loaded up I now have 9 bags at the ready !!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    I just picked up 4 bags from the Newnan GA store. If I would of been in my truck I would of got the rest they had, but I figure I got 3 bags at the house plus these 4 I should be set for a short time at least...
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Picked up some bags here in Alpharetta, GA for the same sale price. Can't beat it!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    This Canadian happened to be in a meeting in Pennsylvania this week. Thanks for the heads up on the Royal Oak. 10 bags ready for boarder inspection!
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
  • dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    Gooey1 said:
    This Canadian happened to be in a meeting in Pennsylvania this week. Thanks for the heads up on the Royal Oak. 10 bags ready for boarder inspection!
    border inspection was not a huge fan of me the last time I brought charcoal back... let me go with it but was issued a warning
  • Gooey1
    Really what was the issue?
  • Just got my egg last week. Outside of being cheap... how does it stack up against the other brands performance wise?
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Just got my egg last week. Outside of being cheap... how does it stack up against the other brands performance wise?
    It's made by the same company that makes the BGE lump charcoal, just in a different bag. I've not had any issues with RO to date. Low and slow for 14 hours (with plenty to spare), or high temp pizza/steak cooks - no problem. I think it is worth the price, especially at $8/17lbs. Give it a shot!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Gooey1
    My Fav. I know it isn't supposed to make a difference but we have the blue bad Royal Oak in Canada. I swear the Red Bags I buy in the states have more medium to large pieces.
  • Just got my egg last week. Outside of being cheap... how does it stack up against the other brands performance wise?
    I have used the BGE lump, which as previously detailed is the same thing, and I have used Rockwood.  To me, the difference is night and day.  The biggest difference is fewer VOC's, but it also burns longer and seems more consistent to me.  It also burns hotter.  Having said all that, if you use RO, you will be able to do all the same cooks, you won't burn enough extra to make up the cost difference, and if you let a new pile of lump burn for an extra 15 minutes or so that should take care of the extra VOC's.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    I live in NE Indiana around Fort Wayne. Our Walmarts are not stocking that size bag. Will be in a Ohio today and will take a look for it.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You might have to seek it out in the store.
    Our local store only got one pallet. It was off to the side in the garden center still on the pallet with no price or signage the end of last week... 
    I went back sunday, the day of the sale, and it had been moved to another area in the outside garden center, 10 feet off the ground, on the top shelf. Never to be seen unless you knew what you were looking for. Still no pricing or signage.
    You have to remember...the employees don't care. It's just one more promotional item that they need to get off the floor.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Also, can't find it in the Austin TX area stores.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Photo Egg said:

You might have to seek it out in the store.

Our local store only got one pallet. It was off to the side in the garden center still on the pallet with no price or signage the end of last week... 
    I went back sunday, the day of the sale, and it had been moved to another area in the outside garden center, 10 feet off the ground, on the top shelf. Never to be seen unless you knew what you were looking for. Still no pricing or signage.
    You have to remember...the employees don't care. It's just one more promotional item that they need to get off the floor.
    I've seen this at both stores I stopped at in Central IN.

LBGE

BTFU!

• I bought 9 bags so far in Bernalillo, NM.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Gooey1 said:
    My Fav. I know it isn't supposed to make a difference but we have the blue bad Royal Oak in Canada. I swear the Red Bags I buy in the states have more medium to large pieces.
    Once my dealer says he hi-jacked a shipment headed to Canada so I have used the blue bag, but didn't notice any difference. OTOH it didn't get banged around on the longer trip on up North. Rough handling and shipping has to be a factor on the size of pieces by the time they travel so many miles.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • My wife was wondering why I made the trip to Walmart with her last weekend, until we stopped in the garden center. 
    I did score on the $8.00 price.  Just need a bigger place to store it.
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Dunwoody, Ga. walmart had a 1/2 pallet this morning. Scored 5 more bags. Lady said they usually don't carry the big bags, just got in for the sale. When it's gone, it's gone.
  • jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    just picked up 5 bags.  thats all that would fit in my car.  going to unload and head back.
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Richmond, Va guys... I went to Walmart north side and they only had the little 8 lb bags. Where the big ones at?
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    JethroVA said:

Richmond, Va guys... I went to Walmart north side and they only had the little 8 lb bags. Where the big ones at?

By this time, sold out I would guess. Our Walmart usually only carries the 8lb bags. On Saturdau they had the 17lb Sat for $8. I bought 4. Sunday I had some room left in the garage so went back for more and it was all gone.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
    500 Posts: 3,177
    @JethroVA‌ , I scored 8 bags in Midlothian. There were still like a dozen left. That was Sunday. I'd go back for more, but I can't think of a dry, convenient spot to put them. I've got 10 total now. Try there.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Update. Scored 3 bags in San Marcos TX today.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Picked up 21 bags over the weekend here in salt lake.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Glad you guys are finding them, no dice here.

Menards will have their annual lump sale soon, around Easter.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Focker said:

Glad you guys are finding them, no dice here.

Menards will have their annual lump sale soon, around Easter.

Our Cedar Rapids stores had it.  It was in the garden center out in the unheated area.  I had to ask, it was like they were trying to hold on to it til the sale expired.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I went again last night to the Walmart in Riverhead and bought all they had so now I have 15 bags I think I will make it threw the summer 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Just picked up 4 more today.