Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bbq sandwich

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Stopped at a little shack outside of Little Rock and decided to get a sandwich. Mistake. Dry, dry, dry.. so dry they drowned it in sauce and slaw. Not a bad smoke flavor and chopped instead of pulled but freaking dry. It reminded me if the time I took pp to my daughter's tailgate party. My pork was beside a restaurant brand. One of the players took some of the store bought but I asked him to try a bite of mine just to see what he thought. After finishing he screamed out "that **** is juicy as hell". My favorite compliment to date. Do any of you chop your pulled pork?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    No chopping here. Never saw the point. I like mine pulled and the ideal way for me is to have big, chunky pieces. Don't like it pulled into shreds either. Picky? Yes I am. Just ask SHMBO.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Make that SWMBO,
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I chop it sometimes...but I am in NC. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    theres a place near me that thin slices and then roughly chops, i like it from time to time when im on the road that way. i dont ever remember getting it as a sandwich though, its usually piled in a plate and i pour beans over it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Sometimes I chop mine.  That way you get a bite of bark every time.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I chop when I make Carolina style BBQ. Real Carolina style, not that weird Lexington stuff ;)

It's typically for "whole hog" BBQ so you get bits of skin in each bite. When I do it, I use a picnic shoulder so I have the skin.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have always pulled when I make butts or picnics.  I guess I thought chopped was for when people didn't cook it long enough to pull.  I have had chopped from a whole hog cook and it definitely seemed like it was still a little too firm to pull...if I had to guess around 180 degrees.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I like to pull it into pieces about as thick as my thumb, so the bites are a bit chunky. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    The very first real BBQ that I ever had was Carolina style and chopped so I like to do mine that way every now and then.  But 9 out of 10 times, we just pull it and give a coarse chop (3 to 4 times each way).

You think that little shack's sandwich was bad?  We went to Six Flags Over Georgia this weekend and we paid $14.99 each for a crock pot style pulled pork sandwich drowning in sauce, fries and a coke.  It was the worst AND most expensive pulled pork sandwich I've had.  That said, it looks like it beat the chicken strips my son got. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This