Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried something new with ribeyes on the Egg

Options
Picked up some prime grade rib eyes from Costco late last week along with a 17" cast iron pan from Bass Pro Shops with the aim of trying a reverse sear with the cast iron pan for the finish.  

Rubbed the ribeyes with Chicago Ray's Prime Rib Rub as described in Dr BBQ's book, The Beginner's Guide to Barbeque.   Roasted the ribeyes on the egg at 325F high and indirect with a couple small hickory chucks until they are 90F internal, flipped, and then pulled at 115F internal.   Re-configured the egg for direct heat, set my cast iron pan on top of the adjustable rig, and cranked it up.    I couldn't close the dome because the pan is too big - but I suspect the egg was up to 600F+.    Threw the steaks on the pan and seared for 90 seconds on 1 side which was a bit too long.   Flipped and seared for 60 seconds on the other side which was just about right.   Pulled and let rest for about 10m.    Served with steak fries and burgundy mushrooms as described by The Pioneer Woman's blog. 

The cast iron pan gave a nice, even sear.   Even better, no arm hair was lost since flare ups were mitigated by the pan.  

For those of you who think daughters are expensive, my 16 year old boy who is skinny as a rail put away a 24 ounce steak in one sitting.  

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks great! Is that bacon wrapped around the steak?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Love that cast iron pan.  Might have to give that a try.  With the XL, that thing is actually a great size for a drip pan, lol.  Wouldn't use it for that purpose, but could cover it with aluminum foil and use it in place of stone for indirect so that it is already heated up for the sear.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Looks Great.  Did you add any fat to your cast iron before the sear?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    smchan said:
    For those of you who think daughters are expensive, my 16 year old boy who is skinny as a rail put away a 24 ounce steak in one sitting.  
    I agree with that! I have a 15 year old that eats like a horse and can hide behind a telephone pole. He ate a huge steak last night AND leftover lamb chops. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    I want to try this but I fear pulling the plate setter after it gets hot. I have good gloves but it is heavy and seems like a dangerous maneuver.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    @ pretzelb This set up removes the need for the plate setter. I use a CI griddle from Weber and set it on my spider at the beginning of the cook. It's heating up the whole time the steak or small roast is cooking on my raised AR, then remove only the cooking grate, get temp. up to sear and put the meat on.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @pretzelb, removing a hot plate setter is something that should be done with great care. Have a look at this recent post.

I have an old pair of channel locks that I use for that purpose.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    smchan I have the same pan and I trimed the handles so it will fit the inside diameter of my large Egg I used a cut off wheel and it fits perfectly inside my egg and I can close the egg here is a photo  as to what I'm talking about image
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    billyray said:

pretzelb This set up removes the need for the plate setter. I use a CI griddle from Weber and set it on my spider at the beginning of the cook. It's heating up the whole time the steak or small roast is cooking on my raised AR, then remove only the cooking grate, get temp. up to sear and put the meat on.

Hmm, I might be able to do that. I have a woo2 but my CI skillet has a handle. It might work on the xl though.

Do you add oil before you do the sear? That could be dangerous too.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I found a cast iron pan at Cabela's with the small handles that just barely fits inside my Large Egg with no modifications.

Love it.

Though I guess I am old school, I still prefer searing first, then cooking till done.

Cookin in Texas
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    That's how I like doing all my searing. You don't get pretty grill marks but you get a fantasic crust, which I love.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    yzzi said:
    That's how I like doing all my searing. You don't get pretty grill marks but you get a fantasic crust, which I love.
    Yes you do, just use one of those ribbed CI skillets. Amazing char marks.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• billyray
    Options
    @ pretzelb I don't add oil to the CI piece. Sometimes I'll brush the meat with some oil or bacon grease before the sear, other times I just put it on dry.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I like the even crust that you get from pan searing a steak like this.  I also love one grilled straight on the grates too but these have better flavor to me.    I just use a cheap cast iron griddle plate that fits on my fire ring or use the Craycort griddle insert if I'm just doing 1-2 steaks. 

Great cook and I feel your pain.  Our youngest is 14 and in training for the high school football team...that boy can eat double of what I can. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • smchan
    smchan Posts: 14
    Options
    Looks great! Is that bacon wrapped around the steak?

No, just the fat and gristle that's between the inner and outer part of the steak. I saved part of it for lunch today - and it was good again.
  • smchan
    smchan Posts: 14
    Options
    NDG said:
    Looks Great.  Did you add any fat to your cast iron before the sear?

The pan was pre seasoned - but I poured a little canola oil in a towel and spread it around the bottom of the top. I doubt it made any difference though.
    pretzelb said:
    I want to try this but I fear pulling the plate setter after it gets hot. I have good gloves but it is heavy and seems like a dangerous maneuver.

I have a pair of heavy oven mitts so I just grab the plate setter and set it aside. No issues so far.
  • coffeeguydenton
    coffeeguydenton Posts: 138
    edited March 2014
    Options
    billyray said:
    @ pretzelb This set up removes the need for the plate setter. I use a CI griddle from Weber and set it on my spider at the beginning of the cook. It's heating up the whole time the steak or small roast is cooking on my raised AR, then remove only the cooking grate, get temp. up to sear and put the meat on.
    I would be interested to see if anyone has tried this with an IR heat gun.  The bed of coals is obviously much hotter than dome temp, so my question would be just how hot the pan is prior to opening the vents up and raising the dome temp.  I am curious to see if it might not be hot enough to just go straight from the grid to the CI skillet without waiting for the dome temp to come up.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I just put my cast iron directly on the plate setter. I put a layer of tin foil in the bottom to catch the drippings. When I ready to sear, I just remove the foil and crank up the egg. I baste the steaks with butter and then sear them on the cast iron. Real easy.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • billyray
    Options
    @ coffeeguydenton I have used my IR. When I said let the temp. get up, it only takes a few minutes to get to 500 dome, which equals more than 700 on the CI below and I sear with the lid up since it only takes a 1 to 2 minutes a side. Before I opened the vents the dome was @ 350 and the CI was about 500.