Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking duck, catching fat - what next?

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
I love duck. When it is on the menu in a restaurant, I usually get it. Only made one in the past, and it was good, not great, but I did eat it all.
Second one is in the egg now. I am cooking it 375 indirect, seasoned with fresh garlic and thyme under the skin higher up in the dome and catching all the fat. Once I catch the fat, what next? Everyone says use it for potatoes, but exactly how? Also, can I just put it in a clean jar and put it in the fridge, and if so, for how long? Lots of people say it is like liquid gold for cooking, but no one I know uses it, and I do not know how to best use it. I am sure someone here has advise. Please chime in how you use it!!
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Nothing? I toss it?
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    When all else fails check the Internet, here is what I found. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/788378
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Pommes frites. Farkin delicious. You can also try to make duck confit. I've never made it, but also very good. 

When we lived in Chicago, a place called Hot Doug's would make their fries in duck fat on Fri & Sat. Franklin-like line out the door and around the block on those days. Best fries ever. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Had confit for the first time in Dec. Was amazing!  Drunk chatted with the waitress, and shortly there after the chef is standing in front of me giving me the hows about how he made the dish.  

He also gave me a quart of duck fat that I have been neglecting in the fridge for months.  Just recently, I did the thighs and legs of a duck confit in the CI at about 225F in the oven.

It was amazing!

Moving forward, recently, I did St. Patrick's Day egg rolls and fried them in the duck fat-  Insane!  

Story here:  

I also did a few egg rolls with some of the duck confit meat coated in Hoisin and some five spice the same way.  Turned out better than good-

Here it is with cabbage and red cabbage sweated in duck fat and ready to get rolled with a hunk of cream cheese.

Cooking in the duck fat 

imageAll done and not long for this world.

They were amazing!  Hope you get inspired-  Also did crab rangoons in the duck fat.  Insane-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    When your cook is done, pour the duck fat through a coffee filter into a clean mason jar. It will keep in the fridge as long as you need it to. With just one duck, you're not going to have enough fat left over to "deep fry" anything...so use it to toss potatoes in on the stovetop, then finish in the oven or on you bge. I've also used it to rub down my chicken before roasting. Hope this helps.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Making popcorn with duck fat is a tasty adventure. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Note that the fat collected from the drip pan will probably have some smoke flavor in it. I've collected fat from goose, and smoke flavor was not at an objectionable level. It did go rancid faster than the fat I collected from just boiling some cut away before roasting. My recollection is that the smoked fat became nasty after about 3 months, while the plain rendered was good after nearly a year.