Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buy Kamado Joe Jr. or hold out for Mini-Max or...

Options
Hi all. I have never cooked on a BGE, but have pre-bought an XL demo that I will be picking up in June. June seems really far away, though..and I want to get started now. It seems like the Kamado Joe is roughly what the new Mini-Max will be....and I don't really want to wait until June to get the mini-max. Anyone have one and can say how it compares to a bge mini or small? Thanks, Sandy
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    The Jr is more comparable to a small.
    I have a mini BGE and will either add a KJ Jr or Mini Max to the arsenal.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Can't speak to the KJ Jr, but the classic Joe is a great grill, very comparable to the LBGE. If you have a line on a Jr, I would not hesitate to get one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I just bought an Akorn jr for my place in Florida. Not as good as the egg but excellent results and value! $139 at Menards
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    I own a LBGE and a KJ Jr. I would not hesisate to buy it again. If you go to thegardengates.com and use promo code SPRING  you pay 404.10 with all the accessories and it ships early april. I think the quality is comparable but the only thing i didnt like is no screen on draft door. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The KJ Jr is sold out everywhere anyway you will have to wait a couple weeks to get one. I ordered mine several weeks ago and was told the next batch would be in the beginning of April. I can't wait to see the mini max but will use the KJ at least until I can get a mini max at a demo price probably 2015 egging in the mountains.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Sandy, given that you are beginning from a position of having no ceramic cooker I suggest that you consider avoiding the assumption you need two particularly since you will soon have an XLBGE.  If you need instant charcoal burning capabilities (perfectly understandable) consider a Weber Jumbo Joe instead of another form of ceramic.  It has the same cooking grid space as an LBGE, sits on a table top, weighs nothing, costs next to nothing (59 bucks), they’re readily available, & most importantly the Joe can perform the great majority of what most people cook on ceramic grills.  Once the XL arrives it’ll cover the territory the Jumbo Joe can’t but the Joe will remain a very valued & well used outdoor wood burning asset.  Trust me, I’m a doctor
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Smokey Joe by Weber has a 13 grid and sells for 29.00.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    The reason I bought another egg was for the travel ability and different cook temp i could do two cooks at once... It makes a huge difference in meal planning and cooking. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    The reason I bought another egg was for the travel ability and different cook temp i could do two cooks at once... It makes a huge difference in meal planning and cooking. 
    No doubt about it, I've got a total of 5 cookers (3 ceramic & 2 metal).  Travel ability isn't on everyone's agenda, me included, my stuff all stays on the patio.  If however I were to take one mobile it would be one of the Webers, they're far easier to move & can be picked up & flipped over/dumped for nearly instant cooling which is good if the destination is a tailgating type event.  For camping & such that isn't so important.  Plus they're pretty much indestructible so cracking or breaking one in transit isn't a concern.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    I couldn't hold off for the mini-max...we have several trips planned and wanted a portable cooker. The mini is too small for the 4 of us plus guests.

Picked up a Joe Jr.

I reference thegardengates .com 10% off offer and BBQ guys Matched the price. $404.10 to my door.

They have 6 more reds and a bunch more black in stock...the garden gates was shipping "early April"
  • jimreed777
    Options
    BTW - the Jr was at my door 3 days after ordering
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    BTW - the Jr was at my door 3 days after ordering
    How is the build quality?
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

PNWFoodie Where are you located? You can come by and cook on one of mine.

Tim in SoCal

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have the Big Joe 24" KJ and it's very nice. My BGE XL will be on Craigs list soon.
    Hinge system is fantastic compared to the BGE XL. Yet to see the Jr but if it's anything like the Big Joe and the Classic 18" it will be a winner. Really like the looks of the handle stand on the Jr. IMO
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jimreed777
    Options
    Joe Jr build quality is excellent.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I couldn't hold off for the mini-max...we have several trips planned and wanted a portable cooker. The mini is too small for the 4 of us plus guests.

Picked up a Joe Jr.

I reference thegardengates .com 10% off offer and BBQ guys Matched the price. $404.10 to my door.

They have 6 more reds and a bunch more black in stock...the garden gates was shipping "early April"
    Make that 5 red in stock.
    Gittin' there...
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Have we heard any estimates on the pricing of the Mini-Max?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks like kj is giving bge a run for the money
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I would get the egg because being an Egghead is more cool than being a Joehead.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    Looks like kj is giving bge a run for the money
    Hopefully it gets the price to drop with more competition.
  • henapple
    Options
    I will say the band and hinge on the kj is nicer.
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    Here is m y 2 cents..... Komodo are great grills works the same ad the BGE.... The BGE has a FANTASTIC! warranty, easy to get parts and has been proven over time.   

To me it's the BGE.

I had the same thoughts not to long ago,  So i went to a small BGE, mini max is just to small.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    I will say the band and hinge on the kj is nicer.
    The Adjustable Rig rip-off they now offer is pretty neat too. Seems a little unwieldy when you're playing over hot coals.
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Rzeancak said:
    Here is m y 2 cents..... Komodo are great grills works the same ad the BGE.... The BGE has a FANTASTIC! warranty, easy to get parts and has been proven over time.   

To me it's the BGE.

I had the same thoughts not to long ago,  So i went to a small BGE, mini max is just to small.
    um....isnt the mini-max same grate diameter as small?
    Beaufort, SC
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    btw kj warranty matches bge and free shipping on all replacement parts
    Beaufort, SC
  • henapple
    Options
    Doesn't their website say shipping not included?
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    yeah.....must have read it wrong, sorry
    Beaufort, SC
  • henapple
    Options
    No big deal. Was just running through their site. I'm not sure how a dealer would handle the expense.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @plumbfir01 Mini-Max and Small have same size grid. I think the small can probably hold more lump, but could be wrong.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    td66snrf said:

< strong>PNWFoodie Where are you located? You can come by and cook on one of mine.

Tim in SoCal

Aww, that's super nice of you! I'm in Washington, though...probably too long of a road trip for a weeknight dinner. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy