Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked turkey legs

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I picked up a half dozen turkey legs and was going to smoke them tomorrow. Any advice or suggestions? Was thinking 250 raised indirect until they hit 165 or so. Coffee rub most likely. Thanks.
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    This is how I like to do them. Taste just like they do at the fair!
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/04/turkey-drumsticks.html?m=1
    NW IOWA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I did some without brine/cure and wasn't happy at all with the results. Have one in a wet cure right now. Hope I get "fair" results.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gmac
    Options
    Hmmm...never thought about curing them.  I've only got Ready-cure but I'm sure I can figure out something.  I think I'll put them in a brine tonight and smoke tomorrow.  
    I've never had "fair" grade turkey legs.  It's more of an American thing I think but I'll give it a shot.
    Thanks

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Curing them is the only way to go IMO. Leave the garlic out of that recipe though. And make sure VOCs are burnt off. Poultry will really pick that up.
    NW IOWA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Well marinate in teriyaki, hot smoke indirect at 250 or lower with generous mesquite smoke.  That is how we do turkey thighs, and they are delicious. Thighs take about four hours to done.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• DMW
    Options
    Got mine out of the wet cure early this morning after about 16 hours. Rinsed and put it in the fridge to dry. Just put it on the small with pecan chips for smoke. Running at 250*-275* til 180* is the plan. Here's what I used for the brine/cure:
    2 L Water
    175g Kosher salt
    50g sugar
    125 maple syrup
    20g pink salt

I'll let you know how it turns out.imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    This was it, curing made all the difference. Has a ham like flavor.imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That my friend is ridiculous !!!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    400 raised direct all the time. This is off the Mini but do them and wings on the Large. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Turkey Wings are good also. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    That drumstick looks good, this weekend I'm going to try wet-curing turkey thighs and then smoke them on the egg to 165 internal.  I don't have pink salt, I have a small bottle of pure sodium nitrite, so I need just a very small amount, but I'll keep the brine pretty simple like yours.
    DMW said:
    This was it, curing made all the difference. Has a ham like flavor.imageimage

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• gmac
    Options
    I'm had to throw the legs in the freezer. A friend got in a car accident and he's still in the hospital so I did a big pork shoulder to make pulled pork and took it over to his wife so that she didn't have to worry about feeding the kids etc. He will be fine but he has some rehab ahead of him.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Thighs came out good.  forgot to take pictures until it was too late.
    but my first time with a nitrite brine worked well.  Pink to the core, very moist and tender.
    Skin didn't crisp up very good, even after a few minutes of direct heat, so I removed the skin and popped it into the toaster oven, that got it to crunch up nice and crispy.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey
    Options
    Just for the record I do not wet cure or soak. Take out or package, BBBR or Coffee rub and 400 Raised Direct.

• DMW
    Options
    @Mickey Have you ever removed the tendons before cooking? I think I'm going to try that next time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mickey
    Options
    DMW said:
    @Mickey Have you ever removed the tendons before cooking? I think I'm going to try that next time.

No. Also give wings a shot.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Mickey said:
    DMW said:

No. Also give wings a shot.
    @Mickey... turkey wings are great. Where do you get them? I've not seen them sold separately up here. Although, there are several turkey farms nearby... maybe I'll give them a call.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    That leg looks ridiculously good!! Nice job. Bookmarked for sure.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings