Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wyoming Weather and the BGE

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
I am thankful for all the post on the forum that helped me decide on the BGE and all the tips/suggestions to help with problems. I live in NE Wyoming and Barbecuing is often challenging due to weather, be it extreme cold or high winds. Both frequently happen simultaneously. Gassers are challenging and other charcoal BBQ's are near impossible unless you want to eat large amounts of ash that cover the food. It seems like the wind is always the worst when one wants to cook outdoors. The BGE makes cooking outdoors in subzero temps and wind possible. Most barbecuing devices immediately lose all heat when putting food on or when checking/turning foods(not the BGE). My biggest challenge is actually getting the egg started in the wind. I use starter blocks and they're hard to get going in the wind. Once lit, it's all down hill, even when cooking below zero. I'm not an extravagant cook, but love a burger or steak off the grill and the BGE is the only way to go in the harsh environment of Wyoming. Friends cannot believe that I can actually cook outdoors by fire in the winter. Anyway, just warned to thank everyone that contributes to the forum.
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'd try a MAPP torch or the electric fire starter in high winds. Otherwise, it's great to have you here!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I Grew up in Casper and the wind is brutal up there. One thing I don't miss is those 60-70 Mph winds and people just saying it was a breeze.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    I'm south in Scottsbluff, and know your feelings on the weather.
    Ditch the tabs.  I have a propane/MAPP torch head that I use to light the egg.  There are those on here who will tell you that propane won't burn upside down, but I'm here to tell you that my torch has worked upside down for years.

Welcome aboard.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • +1 for the MAPP torch.  Even without the wind, it's just faster and in the long run I think cheaper.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Electric fire starter. Takes a bit longer to get going but no spark showers which could be bad in the wind.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I am pretty happy using the electric starter.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Sounds like you need a weed burner! Though DMW makes a good point and I don't know how they do in serious wind (I just have a mapp).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    If you have power, electric is the answer. Light towards the front and on the top, it is not necessary to bury the element. Make sure to set a timer, 8 minutes from plug-in to plug out works for me. If you leave the starter in for much more than 10 minutes, the burning lump will shorten the life and destroy the element in no time. Maverick in timer mode works fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    @stemc33, my brother and sister-in-law live in Gillette!  I was just out there over Christmas and love that part of the country.
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • stemc33
    I definitely need to try a burner of some sort. Trying to light the starter blocks gets old. I think a burner might be better than electric just because of having to string out the electric cord seems like a hassle. Also, just a tip I use that seems to help in the wind is to leave the bottom vent closed until the charcoal starts burning. The wind provides plenty of oxygen but keeping the vent closed helps the heat build faster which creates a rip roaring fire in no time.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    I'd recommend the Looftlighter!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mapp torch. I left my heat gun a little too long once. Once.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I have used oil/paper towels, starter cubes, electric element, mapp torch, and the weed burner. The weed burner easily takes the cake. It's a no mess around I need this grill fired up quickly tool. Who doesn't like playing around with a flame thrower? Highly recommend the weed burner.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ospreydog
    Ospreydog Posts: 103
    You are right on the wind, I hunted just south of Sheridan and I got so wind burnt. It's very beautiful out there and some nice deer also.
  • stemc33 said:
    I definitely need to try a burner of some sort. Trying to light the starter blocks gets old. I think a burner might be better than electric just because of having to string out the electric cord seems like a hassle. Also, just a tip I use that seems to help in the wind is to leave the bottom vent closed until the charcoal starts burning. The wind provides plenty of oxygen but keeping the vent closed helps the heat build faster which creates a rip roaring fire in no time.
    Not to threadjack, but what part of WY?  My kids live in Cowley/Powell area with their mom. 
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • stemc33
    Banner just South of Sheridan. Before I retired from the Army, I was the Army recruiter for the Big Horn basin and lived in Powell. Very nice community. Kinda miss it, but Sheridan is more scenic. I also miss being closer to Yellowstone.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming