Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak...but not on the egg

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Here's an adaptation of my mom's "baked steak" recipe.  My wife actually prefers this to grilled steak, and it is arguably easier to do.

To start with, you need some thick steak.  Mom used to always use bone-in sirloin, usually about 2.5" thick.  I've used sirloin, tenderloin, ribeye, bonless NY strip, porterhouse.  i.e. any nice thick steak will do.

Tonight, it was NY strips, about 1.5lb each.  Preheat the oven to 350F.  Heat up a 12" cast iron pan, add some oil.  Dry off the steaks, and I hit each side of each one with the jaccard to help tenderize them.  When the pan is nice and hot, sear the steaks 1min per side.

Flip.

Sprinkle the tops liberally with kosher salt.

Then a liberal sprinkling of Italian seasoning (again, just on the tops) and toss in some peeled garlic.  If the garlic is big, cut them in half.  I put some olive oil on top of the steaks as well.

Then put the pan in the oven.  I baked these 15 minutes @350F.  When I checked them with the thermopen, one was 125F, the other was 127F.  That's more than done.

With the steaks removed from the pan, you're left with garlic and some juices. 

Crush the garlic with a fork. 

Turn the burner up to about 50-60%.  Add sliced mushrooms.  Pour in some vermouth.  Cook stirring things around until the mushrooms look done and the liquid has thickened but not all boiled away:

Slice and serve.  Since these steaks were about 1.5lb each, we split one and didn't eat all of it.  There's enough for another dinner and probably a good lunch for one after that.

You don't get the grill marks or smoke flavor...but the salt, garlic, and Italian seasoning work pretty well together, and it's hard to get this kind of result in the egg.  (yes...I have actually done this method in the egg, but I didn't feel it was worth the extra work).

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    That looks very delicious and I'm sure you made your Mom proud. I OTOH still would challenge you to using one of my 45 day dry aged New York strips that I "hot tubbed" last night sealed in a water tight bag for an hour in 120 degree water before searing at 650 degrees on my small BGE on cast iron for 2 minutes per side! No after pictures but here was my before.image
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • njl
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I assume that was dry aged as a one big hunk of NY strip and you sliced it into steaks just before cooking?  I don't think my wife would put up with open raw meat in the fridge for a month and a half.  It's bad enough that I'm wet aging a brisket that I bought at Costco a couple of weeks ago.  I was there.  It was there.  I knew when I bought it I wouldn't have time to cook it anytime soon, but it was too good looking to pass up.  IIRC, it's a cryopacked 6lb "flat" that's actually part flat, part point.  I haven't figured out yet when I'm going to smoke it.  Maybe later this week.

The above NY strips were just the thickest nice looking ones Publix had tonight (and were on sale).  Last minute dinner planning.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Those steaks look perfect!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice. This is a classic way to do steaks. I like doing it in a stainless steel pan so I can see the fond.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    The problem with doing it that way on the stove. Is the clean up.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• njl
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Having to clean the cast iron pan?  It's not that big a deal.  With the deglazing done at the end, the pan literally just rinsed clean.  I just finished washing it.  All it took was running some hot water through it while I washed the knives, and then I wiped it out twice with a wet paper towel.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The biggest deal for me is smoke from the sear. It fills the house up so I typically save the technique for steak au poivre.
  • Boatswain
    Boatswain Posts: 27
    Options
    You should try that on the egg, use a Dutch oven rather than the skillet. Easy day! I wish I could find a short handle skillet.
  • birdieba
    birdieba Posts: 4
    Options
    rrp...........little r, little r, little p... Another thread you decide to chime in on. This man decided to post his hard work that he cooked for his family... damn, wasn't on the egg...This was his mama's recipe.  In the South, you don't **** with Mama's recipe. njl may not be a southerner, but you don't **** with mama's recipe. Since you seem to be the snobby one of this forum, I would be lucky enough if you played golf. Probably not, your too cheap. No matter, we shall meet.
    Miami Beach, FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice cook @njl, never thought of the garlic add, will try that. Have done this on gasser side burner, keeps the smoke out of the house, then into 350 egg, after the spuds were done. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    birdieba said:
    rrp...........little r, little r, little p... Another thread you decide to chime in on. This man decided to post his hard work that he cooked for his family... damn, wasn't on the egg...This was his mama's recipe.  In the South, you don't **** with Mama's recipe. njl may not be a southerner, but you don't **** with mama's recipe. Since you seem to be the snobby one of this forum, I would be lucky enough if you played golf. Probably not, your too cheap. No matter, we shall meet.
    I can appreciate where you're coming from, but have some balls and talk **** from your real handle.

No introduction.  No cook threads.  You've been egging for 25 years, but only 4 posts since you joined in December 2012.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @birdieba: Aren't you the snarky one! Why are your panties all in a bunch? Get a life.

@stevesail: I'm with you--but the cleanup I'm talking about is the grease spattered all over the stovetop. I could put a spatter screen over it, but I always wonder if that injects a little steaming into the searing process.
    Judy in San Diego
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

@birdieba: Aren't you the snarky one! Why are your panties all in a bunch? Get a life.

@stevesail: I'm with you--but the cleanup I'm talking about is the grease spattered all over the stovetop. I could put a spatter screen over it, but I always wonder if that injects a little steaming into the searing process.
    Yes it was the stove cleanup I meant
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• njl
    Options

Yes it was the stove cleanup I meant
    Ah...it's a glass top stove, so even that is just a wipe with a damp paper towel...and I do the stove top work with the vent on.