Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cure #1 or #2 for cold smoked salmon?

Options
I know I need to freeze salmon (-4F for 1 week) to kill parasites, but do I need to use nitrite (cure #1) or nitrite/nitrate (cure #2) when making cold smoked salmon (lox)?  What do the rest of you that cold-smoke salmon do?

The last time I made lox I didn't use any curing salt and I didn't get sick but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially when things like botulism are possible.  So you I use cure #1?  "They" say that cure #1 is only for things that are cooked and if you don't cook it you should use cure #2.  So should I use cure #2?   Trying to get a handle on safety seems to end with most sites saying "don't do it" but I want to make lox so not doing it isn't an option I'll consider.

Maybe I'll have to accept some level of risk, and I'm OK with that, but how do I best minimize the risk?

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I use plain salt to cure salmon. Google "salt-cured salmon" for a host of recipes.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks @jlsm - I'm wondering if botulism is a problem with cured salmon. 

There shouldn't be any harm in using cure #1 should there?
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    C. Bot is anaerobic bacteria than produces a lot of gas when in the vegetative state, enough gas to swell cans. Just cure in a vac vag or ziploc with mminimal headspace. If the bag swells,  then things ain't right  
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    So I don't need to worry about botulism after curing?  I was under the belief that standard salt curing wouldn't kill botulism and the low oxygen environment while smoking is an ideal place for it to grow.