Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - How Big is Your Lawn?

This is an addendum to the lawn mower thread.  My parcel is about 2/3 of an acre and it takes me about 1.5 hours to mow.  Less time if Wilma or my daughter rides the tractor while I mow the ditch and trim with the push mower.  Neither of them will do that part.  I'll take mowing the grass over shoveling snow any day and oddly enough I'm kinda looking forward to it.    
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    i rather shovel snow!

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    1 acre. If I need to trim it takes about 2 hours.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    1/3 acre. I'm looking forward to mowing. The first mow of the season gets me in the summer mood.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Close to 3 acres of yard for me. Wife will not even touch the mower let alone use it. I haven't even cranked my weed eater in two years liquid weed eater only for me way to many trees and fences 60 gallon pto sprayer on my tractor can get done in no time and never have to get off the tractor easiest way to weed eat I have found.
    Lexington TN
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    .46 acre here. When we moved here I "required" 3 acres. Then 2. Then 1. Funny thing about relocating to other towns is you are the mercy of what's available. Push, trim, and blow off, 3 yuenglings. \m/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    My whole lot is 0.10 acres. The backyard is maybe 26x20 feet and completely hardscaped. The front yard is managed by the HOA.

We are looking at a place that is a little over 2 acres. If we can make it work, I'm looking forward to a small tractor with a mower and plow attachment.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

I picked a good year to buy this for my tractor, but after the fifth snow storm even that fun wore thin.

I have about 1/3 acre that just gets mowed when it needs it and about 2/3 acre of  lawn around my house and pole barn that takes me around 1:15, down from 1:45 a couple of years ago. That is to weed whack, mow. and blow. BTW mulching really cut down my maintenance time. Over the years I have managed to eliminate all the obstacles that create extra time and work.  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    We have 0.28 acre with relatively little grass.  If there were much mowing to do I would do it myself, but there isn't.  I mowed lawns for a spending money as a teenager and kinda enjoy it.  Most of the yardwork is picking up leaves from our heavily treed lot - so we hire someone to do it.  But we can look through or over our fence at 66 acres of woods with deer, foxes, coyotes, eagles, hawks, possums, etc. and we don't have to do any of the maintenance in this neighborhood greenspace even though we treat it as our back yard. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Backyard is about 800sq ft of grass. Including the front and I'm still only at 800. Got an old school push reel mower takes me about 5.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have an acre but started with very little lawn and lots of "wild". Looks nice I said to wife. Wife has now (13 years) turned it from "wild" to lawn and can't use a tractor as to the way it lays and trees. Plus wife thinks I am overweight and lawn is good for me. God I miss that little postage stamp lawn.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    0.1 acres
    :D and i did not mow it last year
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I have 4 acres of land to which the house, 26x26 shop, fit on. I have a 200ft driveway that gets real annoying in winter with a snowy south wind.
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    I have about an acre and a half and can cut the grass in less than an hour with this thing.image
    My last lawn mower it took over 2 hours just to mow, that got old fast!
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.