Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked chuck roast. Fail.

Options
Jeremiah
Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
So I love chuck roasts. Usually do them in the DO, on the egg or pre egg did them in the crock pot. I wanted to smoke this like pork butt and pull it for sandwiches. Found this recipe: http://www.thesmokinwood.com/blog/679-chuck-roast-on-the-big-green-egg
I varied at the end and double foiled with red wine for the last two hours. (Was just too busy doing yard work to break out the DO) But other than that, followed the recipe. It was good and flavorful, but DID NOT pull. So I sliced it like brisket, and thanks to some asiago sauce, it was ok. I'd really like it to pull like butt so???? Also is a pic from yesterday at the zoo, had a blast!imageimage
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What was the final IT? I've found you have to take chuckies a bit higher than butts.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    edited March 2014
    Options
    200-205 I really didn't know what temp was good for chuck roasts, really just pulled at the 5 hr mark. I confess. :-SS
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    I did one today as well. Cooked @ 275 until internal hit 160. Foiled and put back on @ 325 until internal was 210. FTC for 45 minutes. It would not shred as well. Sliced for sandwiches with sautéed onions/green peppers/provolone cheese-put in the broiler. Very flavorful and fairly moist. Used Cowlick rub on the roast.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Next time keep going til it probes like a finished butt. OK, there will be just a bit more resistance, but not much more. I've done 7 pound-ish sections of beef shoulder just like a butt (different rub) and its taken 210-215 before its ready to pull and the texture is a bit different.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Chuckies need to cook to tender and not time I have had them go as high as 215ish before they would probe tender. The one I did today was done at 210 and pulled pretty cleanly. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163571/beef-it-s-what-s-for-supper#latest

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'm a chuck roast fan, but not so much a Pepper Stout Beef fan.
    But, the one PSB I did came out very tender and shredded nicely.
    My next effort was for shredded beef tacos, using the PSB method but without the stout beer. Substituted the beer with beef stock, green peppers with roasted Hatch green chili. It came out great!
    Try the PSB method.
    Hope that helps. :)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks @DMW‌ I really want this to be right next time.

Cooking to temp not time is harder than is sounds when you've got hungry people waiting!
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ yours looks great!! Next time I'll keep it on till it probes as it should. The family will just have to wait. B-)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thank you. It hit the egg about 10:15 and came off really close to 5:45. This was for 3lbs

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.