Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart RO Deal

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Got 4 yesterday. Will stop in again tomorrow probably and see if they have any left and store it at my parents' house.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Feenbo thanks for the info I just bought 10 bags to go with my stash! I now have 22 bags in stock. Do you think I need to get another load? It is on sale! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • DMW
    Options
    piney said:

Feenbo thanks for the info I just bought 10 bags to go with my stash! I now have 22 bags in stock. Do you think I need to get another load? It is on sale! 

If you have room, do it! It doesn't have an expiration date...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    Just got 12 bags
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Is this a nationwide sale or just out east?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    I just got mine at The Woodlands, TX store
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Cwittneben
    Options
    LOL I just logged on to tell y'all about this and I see I'm WAY too late. Grabbed 10 for myself. Packed them in the wife's work car like sardines
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    @Caliking...Ok dude.  I'll bite
    What's up?
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I hate the stuff.  I have been burning the last bag from the Atlanta ice storm and it is horrible. I think they are putting the remnants from their other brands in the RO package.  Smokey, small, and a lot of junk.  I do not think that I have bad batches but it is the new norm.  I guess that I am the lone voice crying in the wilderness.  I am the RO broken record and am sticking to it.  Think about it - If Walmart is selling for $.45 per lb, they are most likely buying at $.31 per lb from the manufacturer.  What do you think the mfg is going to do to try and make a few points of margin and keep up with the demand? Would be interested to know how this works out for everyone.
    Milton, GA.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Logger said:

@Caliking...Ok dude.  I'll bite
    What's up?

I have about 500 lb's of charcoal in the garage. If I go to town on this sale, I may be signing divorce papers next week.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @flynnbob‌ your not completely along. However, aside from ordering something else and having it shipped, RO is my only real option. Well, unless I shell out $27 for the bge rebrand.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I just bought 5, 3 for me and 2 for neighbor who has a Lg BGE. I got it a Home Depot for $12.97 and it is getting 5 out of 5 stars on their review page. If it is bad I won't use it again, but at that price I have to give it a try. They said they always have it in stock. I don't know their normal price though.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    flynnbob.... some people don't have access to the "primo" lump you herald. I wish I did. There's no Ozark Oak or Rockwood within 1000 miles (other than internet), so I purchase the best I can.
    RO has been good for anything I've ever needed. Granted have not used the "best".
    It's good to voice your opinions.... ;)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Then joys of city life, not a Walmart within 30 mins of me so I am going to miss out on this.
    But I have driven to one before to try the RO before home depot started carrying it.

Home depot price match?
    Seattle, WA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Cm23 said:

well, I just ran over to the Walmart near my house in Austin and they didn't have any.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    I got 4 this morning, gonna get 8 more before the week is over....
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • Bobbareeno
    Options
    Just went to the local Wal Mart and picked up 10 bags. I love Royal Oak and use it as often as possible. I've tried some other brands from Sams Club and such but none seem to burn as long or as hot as the RO does.

Bob
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Canton, Ga store sold out.
    Woodstock had 5 bags which I got.
    Need to find a few more.
  • flynnbob
    Options
    I can get OO and Rockwood online from Firecraft for $1 per lb.  Free shipping for orders over $99.  I am going to try these guys next.  Does anyone have input?  This is cheaper than my local guys.  Sorry to rain on the RO parade.

Milton, GA.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    My charcoal buying has been put on hold for a bit - I still have 6 bags left from last the fall - I didn't egg as much as usual this winter.  working late and dang cold. (more working late than cold). And with Wally World carrying RO year-round - at least here anyway... I am not in danger of running out.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I've never even seen this size bag at WalMart, but I went down to the nearest one, and they did have them on sale for $8.  I bought 4.  BTW, their online stock checking app doesn't even acknowledge the existence of this size bag.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    I can get OO and Rockwood online from Firecraft for $1 per lb.  Free shipping for orders over $99.  I am going to try these guys next.  Does anyone have input?  
    Yep, what do you need to know?  Three good companies there buddy.  :D
  • DMW
    Options
    Just arrived at my Walmart. May need to rent a 2 bedroom apartment. One for me, one for the lump depending on SWMBO's reaction when I get home.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• s_austin_egger
    Options

Cm23 said:

well, I just ran over to the Walmart near my house in Austin and they didn't have any.

I called the Buda store and they have a full pallet. I first tried at the store on 290 and they didn't have it. You may just have to call around.
  • DMW
    Options
    Argh...sold out... Should have bought more yesterday...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    So it sounds like they just had one pallet per store.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    flynnbob said:

I can get OO and Rockwood online from Firecraft for $1 per lb.  Free shipping for orders over $99.  I am going to try these guys next.  Does anyone have input?  This is cheaper than my local guys.  Sorry to rain on the RO parade.

I get my lump delivered from firecraft. Very satisfied. Free delivery and it still gets to me 3 to 5 days after I order. I buy $100 worth and split it with my neighbor.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I just saved so much money on RO lump that I can't afford to eat for the rest of the month.  Seriously though, Socal appears to be a lump wasteland.  I've never seen any of the "premium" brands for sale here, and Firecraft won't ship to the republic of Kalifornia..  I've never experienced the kind of problems with RO that folks have reported here.  Of course I've only been using it 4 nights a week for the last year.  I've had some bags with mostly small pieces (8.8lb bags from Walmart), but that is probably from post production handling.  Now I check my bags carefully pre-purchase.  Other than that, only good things to say about RO.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Went to my local walmart and they only had the 8.8lb bags and they were $6.48/ea. Wish they would have had that deal going on cause I would have bought them out.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • flynnbob
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    I can get OO and Rockwood online from Firecraft for $1 per lb.  Free shipping for orders over $99.  I am going to try these guys next.  Does anyone have input?  
    Yep, what do you need to know?  Three good companies there buddy.  :D
    An order is coming next week.  I hope that Rockwood measures up to all of the good hype.  I have been egging most of the afternoon. (cooked a turkey for a friend that had surgery).  Used the RO to finish up what I had on hand.  I had trouble getting up to temp (too many small pieces).  After the turkey, I added some OO for a pork tenderloin.  I needed the OO to get the egg up to temp which happened in about 5 minutes with no smoke.  Maybe some bad RO but I have had so many bad experiences with it that I am basically done. Sorry RO fans.    
    Milton, GA.