Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

University of Minnesota Women's Hockey Team

Options
yumdinger
yumdinger Posts: 255
edited March 2014 in Off Topic
Been awhile since i have posted.  Unfortunately, this winter has beat us down here in MN.  But we have something to keep us thinking positive thoughts, our U of Mn Golden Gopher Women's Hockey team.  Now I realize it is probably not a popular sport where many of you reside.  Here in Minnesota, EVERY sport takes a back seat to hockey.  If you have not heard of this teams accomplishments here are some recent stats to get you up to speed.

Tomorrow the Gophers take on Clarkson and will be going after their 3rd straight national title. Last year they were 41-0, Over the past two years they have a record of 79-1-1. They have a 3 year record of 114-6-3. They had a 64 game win streak that spanned the 3 seasons. This year started off with a 11-1 victory over Team Japan, the very team that should have been in a medal game in Sochy had the officials not botched an obvious goal vs Russia. They most likely could give Team USA a run for their money, reality.

Today's game will be live streamed via NCAA.com at 2 pm central. 

There was a day that I was not impressed by Women's hockey. That day has passed. Women's college hockey is a live and growing. The skill is world class. This group of players will prove to be responsible for a surge in girls youth hockey that will continue to fill Coach Frosts Pipeline. 

Oh and by the way don't blink because next year Amanda Kessel and Lea Stecklein will be back from Team USA. They have the best recruiting class in the country incoming.......Yeah potentially 4 straight Natty Champs depending on hat happens today.

I am not sure I know of any team in any sport that has achieved what they have.  Not in modern day, Good luck to them tomorrow.  If they are lucky enough to get er done, my niece will have her 3rd National Championship in 3 years and I will be EGGING for the team this summer to celebrate!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Damn. I was just excited that the Caps won in San Jose for the first time in 21 years.

Small potatoes, huh?

Congrats to your neice. What's her number? I'll check it out.
  • yumdinger
    Options
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    NCAA is a joke for putting Wisconsin / Minnesota in first round. Minnesota should crush whoever they play. I'm just happy the Sioux were the ones to end their winning streak!
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • yumdinger
    Options
    That happened to be one of the few games I missed this year.  I know the Sioux held on like they were dangling form a cliff but credit to them for finally ending the winning streak.

Where are the Pioux today?  oops sorry that was not nice.  I apologize.  For anyone reading this that is not aware there is more than healthy rivalry between the North Dakota Sioux and the Golden Gophers. Players go at it and fans go at it.  Fans in good Fun, Players do not like each other.  You do have a very nice rink though.

The NCAA has held National Championships in Women's Hockey for 13 years.  In that time, no team outside of the WCHA has won a Nation title.  U of Mn has 4 titles, UM Duluth has 5 and Wisconsin has 4.  

Something is missing in that list.....I am not green with envy either. 

;)
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    I have to be honest, I really don't follow women's hockey closely. I know of Wisconsin and goofers records. Sioux women have been much better lately, especially after former goofers and Grand forks natives Lamerouex (sp?)came back home to UND.

NCAA women's hockey is becoming like women's Olympic hockey. Same teams year in and year out. Boring. Gophers will probably win 8-0 today.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • yumdinger
    Options
    You are mostly right but, the depth continues to build.  It has only been 13 years.  In time the growth of the girls youth hockey programs will build depth and talent in the NCAA.  More MN girls are getting opportunities out east because there is so much talent in MN.  

I just miss the REAL Men's WCHA, this big ten crap drained the passion from College Hockey.  

I am going to be in Fargo this week.  Any good Egg stores?
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    Scheels hardware on 13th avenue.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • yumdinger
    Options
    Tied 3-3 start of 3rd.  gophers went down 3-1 early then owned the second period. third period is their strength.  I got Wings on the Egg, Yeungling in hand.  Go Gophers.
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    Where do you get Yeungling in msp?
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • yumdinger
    Options
    My in-laws brought it back for me from their winter place.  Just spent a week in Clearwater Beach drinking it so nice to have a case back home.  Great beer.  

My wings were great, unlike the Gophers today.  They picked a bad day to struggle with the puck.  Credit to Clarkson for bringing their top effort.