Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Candy Salmon Pics

EGG_Daddy
EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
2 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup Sea Salt
1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 cup of good Maple Syrup
2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder

Brined for 10 hours (too long, should have gone for 7-8, snoozed on the 6am alarm)
150-180 degrees
4.5 hours (next time will go 3.5 hours)

imageimageimage

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    How does it differ from regular salmon? FWIW...just post in the forum. On my android I can't choose between topics and some might miss great cooks like this.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    henapple said:
    How does it differ from regular salmon? FWIW...just post in the forum. On my android I can't choose between topics and some might miss great cooks like this.

That's strange.  If you click on the the logo image at the top of the page, it returns you to a view of all the posts (from all sections) run together.

That candy salmon looks great.
    NOLA
  • henapple
    I use the mobile page
  • EGG_Daddy
    henapple said:
    From now on I will post in the general forum.  Candy salmon is more of a snack, almost jerky like.  Brined and glazed with maple syrup.  My people are loving it!!!!

• henapple
    Looks great
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Looks glorious!! What kind of slamon is that?
    Also, you snoozed for 2 hours on an alarm? That is awesome! Once I wake up at 5 or later...that is it. I may lay there, but I am up and will not sleep again.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks really good!! What kind of smoke and approximate amount of salmon?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EGG_Daddy
    2.5 lbs of Pink Salmon.  It was my first batch so I just bought the cheapest bag of frozen individually packed.  Got it from QFC for $10(sale).  After the brining and smoking you can't tell the price or quality.  I don't remember if I added smoke.  Mesquite if any.  When I get home from work on Saturday I am going to make the MOTHER LOAD.  

• I cant wait to try this; do you think its necessary to do the smaller individual pieces, or have you tried it with a large side. 
  • EGG_Daddy
    I think cutting them up is better.  That way there is more smoke penetration and I like a harder surface.  But never tried the full pieces without cutting them.

• tshuggz
    tshuggz Posts: 19
    So do you add anything after you wash the brine off or do you just throw it on and cook?  Also, did you use any wood along with the coals to smoke it?
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    That looks GREAT!!!  What temperature did you smoke at (I'm guessing the 150 - 180 was internal temp). 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    looks good, i do a similar recipe with soy instead of salt, marilyn's squaw candy, but you cant say that online anymore. i cut mine thinner and use broodstock atlantic salmon thats stocked in the pond out front, no need to use good salmon at all
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EGG_Daddy
    tshuggz said:
    So do you add anything after you wash the brine off or do you just throw it on and cook?  Also, did you use any wood along with the coals to smoke it?
    Dry them, throw them on, then glaze with 100% Maple Syrup 2-3 during smoke.

• EGG_Daddy
    tksmoke said:
    That looks GREAT!!!  What temperature did you smoke at (I'm guessing the 150 - 180 was internal temp). 
    Never even checked the internal temp.  I just smoked them around 150-180.