Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump question (Wicked Goood)

Options

I just noticed that a local home improvement store is advertising Wicked Good lump in 22 pound bags.  I hadn't sen it available around here before.  I've been using strictly Royal Oak for some time now. 

How dose WG compare with RO?  Any insights greatly appreciated.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I suspect that WGWW is priced a bit higher than the RO-their lump is very dense, long burning, little ash, very smoke neutral and takes a while to light.  That said, it was my "go to" lump until they had some serious quality issues around a year or so ago.  They fixed those so I am back in their camp.  Rockwood has around the same charecterisitcs but is a longer haul for me to buy.  I would definitely invest in a couple of bags and make a personal assessment.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I'll put it this way...ir RO was a Toyota, WG would be a Lexus. If you have a hard time finding it try Kamado Joe lump. Same supplier, same lump, different bag.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Thanks for the feedback.

I better head for the store!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I should just get tshirts made :D

Buy and use what is readily available, and suits your liking/taste or budget.

And then go buy a pallet of Rockwood!.

I  have been cooking with Rockwood for the past few months and  love the stuff. But I also like RO, which is currently on sale at Wal-Mart (less than 10mins from the house). Central Market lump in Texas is very good too, and I picked up a bunch of it when it was on sale recently. @henapple provided me with some double O in Salado, but I have only cooked with it once so far. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    My 2 lumps of choice so far are Wicked and Rockwood.. But love Rockwood in my opinion it burns long and clean and have just placed another order with FireCraft..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Options
    WGWW was excellent, well worth the price. Then a couple of years ago everything seemed to go to hell in a hand basket, suddenly it was like Cowboy, only at twice the price. I understand they have fixed their supply and distribution problems and now have the same great stuff, I just can't source it locally. During the bad times, I discovered Maple Leaf (thanks @Little_Steven) and that is now my main lump. I do have some RO, Basques Sugar Maple and a no-name Mexican Mesquite to get through before SWMBO will let me bring anymore home. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've never used WGWW until now. I really like it. It burns long for slow & low, low ash production, and from reviews it is great for high temp baking and pizza also. Very dense, large pieces etc. I'll definitely be purchasing more.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I picked up a bag of wgww the day I got my egg...Unfortunately I didn't know enough about it or have a basis for comparison...my dealer reccomend it over BGE lump...(which he happens to not carry). I grabbed a few other bge bags....then switched to RO. From what i recall BGE and WG were both about the same price which was almost double RO..and i didnt notice much difference so I figured why pay more.

Going to St Louis tomorrow...going to try to drag back a few bags of Rockwood if possible.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I've used 6 or 7 brands and I thought WGWW was the best. I'm waiting on a few bags from a tackle store.Even though I just got 6 RO bags from WW this morning.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI