Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart RO Deal

Just reading Sunday paper and saw an ad for 17.6 lb bag of royal oak for $8.00 at Wal- mart! I'm there dude!

Comments

• GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    I got a bag yesterday
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • Feenbo
    Feenbo Posts: 37
    Sorry - just ran across another post about this deal - seems I'm the last to know per usual!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    No worries on the double post- many might not have seen it.  It is the best deal I have seen in a long time on lump.  I'm gonna see how much my local wally has on hand...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Better hope they still have some. Went to my local Wally World with 2 other eggers Friday. We bought 40 bags between the 3 of us. The cashier wanted to know when the BBQ was:-)
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    BTW, the ad says it is for the 8.8# bag, not the 17.63# bag, but Home Depot has the big bag for $12.97.  Better deal, folks.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    We bought 10 of the 17# for $8/ea.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • The 17.63 lb bags are $8 at Walmart. The printed ad might be a typo. I bought enough to turn my hands red and ruin the cuffs on my white shirt.
    If that's the case, I'm headed there right now.
    Member since 2009
  • Saw this post, checked my local add and ran out the door. Picked up 8. Would have gotten more but the kid can only push so much. image
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Just bought 10 bags myself. Sad thing is I just bought 9 bags of Ozark Oak three days ago and haven't even used any yet. I think I'm officially addicted to cooking on the egg.
    I just got 8 bags as well.  Thanks for the heads up @Feenbo.  Got stuffed in every nook and cranny in the garage.
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Must. Resist. The. Urge.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I feel like such a piker only buying 6 bags.  Of course I already had 3 unopened and one in progress.  The ad does say 8.8Lb bags, but it is truly the 17.6 pounders on sale.  They weren't in the BBQ section though - up at the front in the special sale section.  image
    RO.JPG 711.5K
    Santa Paula, CA
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited March 2014
    The ad does say 8.8 lb but the bags pictured in the ad are 17.6. They got it 1/2 way right.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This is torture. Pictures of folks making a run on charcoal have a special place in my heart. I wish i could play too  :((

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Feenbo said:
    Sorry - just ran across another post about this deal - seems I'm the last to know per usual!
    @Feenbo See, never too late to help your friends and let them know about a good deal - you made some folks very happy, except maybe @caliking
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited March 2014
    The local wally world did not have the lump in stock, only certain stores stock it. The staff at the store is worse than useless and lazy. SWMBO tried to get a rain check and was told "we don't do rain checks" even though the sign on the wall above said they did. Too much like work I guess.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My local Home Depot has like 65 bags. Going to get a couple. Is it better then BGE charcoal?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    cheaper at wally right now. BGE is RO - its just rebranded 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Just picked up 4 bags. Already had 3. Great price!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • tksmoke
    On yesterdays foray to Wal*mart, I first went to the BBQ section, where I was told they didn't carry the 17.6 pound bags.  I protested, saying that their weekly ad called it a "Special Buy" item, and that in checking for local availability on-line, it was in stock.  Fortunately a manager happened by.  He said that the sale didn't start until the 23rd.  Then after checking his secret listing, he remembered that it was out in the "Special Buy" section at the front of the store.  Now don't go disparaging Wal*mart employees - I've been practicing for my new career: Hi - Welcome to Wal*mart...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I went the other day and bought 4 bags I now have 10 bags at the ready !
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • tksmoke

@Ladeback69 - to answer your question about it being better than BGE brand.  The consensus is that they are the same.  Royal Oak makes BGE lump, but being a contrarian at heart, and knowing that RO has several different lines of lump, I was not convinced.  BGE brand has seemed to me to have a smokier aroma.  After loading up my car with RO yesterday, I may need to reassess. 

RO seems to burn about the same as BGE lump.  It burns slowly and is capable of reaching high temps in my XL producing very little ash.  It is good for low and slow, as well as high temp cooks.  At less than half the price of BGE lump, is it better?  At less than one quarter the price, get ye to Wal*mart!!!! 

Santa Paula, CA
  • My walmart usually dosent cary the 17 lb. Ags...Wonder if Home Depot woild comp it...

Swmbo just saw it and said..."wow, we should stock up"...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Mine doesn't carry it usually either this was brought in for the add only. Picked up ten. Made it a family affair.

First shot is my wife's backside as she goes to get the last two bags

Next is the kiddos.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Mine doesn't carry it usually either this was brought in for the add only. Picked up ten. Made it a family affair. First shot is my wife's backside as she goes to get the last two bags Next is the kiddos.

So much to comment on. I choose: HILARIOUS!! Lump on TOP OF THE BANANAS!!! =))
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Thanks for posting this. I ran out and got my eight bags.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Yea to quote my wife "why don't you take a picture of my Butt trying to grab the charcoal. The guys would probably think it was funny."

I love my wife.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I got 6 this morning. May wander back this if I get a chance.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Yea to quote my wife "why don't you take a picture of my Butt trying to grab the charcoal. The guys would probably think it was funny." I love my wife.

What does that say back there?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)