Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowe's gift cards = new egg table (pics)

Finally finished my table. I bought everything from Lowes except the granite and I got a pretty good deal on it. Just some 2x4's, a 1x10x8, a 1x6x10, a sheet of 1/4" birch plywood, and a sheet of 3/8" pine plywood for shelves. Added some walnut stain, some spar varnish and the next thing you know...got me a table! Also bought and used a kreg jig for the first time and that thing is nice. Highly recommend getting one if you like building things with wood.

Comments

• Very nice! +1 on the kreg jig.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Thanks guys. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a cover now. I'm hoping the wife can make one. If all else fails, I think a tarp will serve the purpose. Anyone use a tarp?
  • KyleEgg
    KyleEgg Posts: 37
    That thing is beautiful. Congrats on a great table.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nick
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    KingtUT said:
    Thanks guys. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a cover now. I'm hoping the wife can make one. If all else fails, I think a tarp will serve the purpose. Anyone use a tarp?
    Great looking table. I use a 4-wheeler cover for my table, fits perfectly and cheap.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • KingtUT
    henapple said:
    Nick

Gonna fill it with some OO!
  • KingtUT
    edited March 2014

jls9595 said:
    KingtUT said:
    Great looking table. I use a 4-wheeler cover for my table, fits perfectly and cheap.

That looks like it would work nicely. Thanks!
  • KingtUT
    Last but not least.........the egg actually fits!
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Nice table. +1  on Kreg. built mine with it. Did you use glue also on your doors?

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• KingtUT
    No. Probably should have I guess. I guess I still can.
  • jdc3798
    jdc3798 Posts: 15
    KingtUT said:
    Finally finished my table. I bought everything from Lowes except the granite and I got a pretty good deal on it. Just some 2x4's, a 1x10x8, a 1x6x10, a sheet of 1/4" birch plywood, and a sheet of 3/8" pine plywood for shelves. Added some walnut stain, some spar varnish and the next thing you know...got me a table! Also bought and used a kreg jig for the first time and that thing is nice. Highly recommend getting one if you like building things with wood.

Awesome! Looks easy enough for a beginner. Do you have any plans or a specific material list that you could share? Also, what size egg is that? I want to make a table very similar to this for my large. Thanks and great job..
    Rochester, NY
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Nice looking table. I might recommend the table nest though. Even with the table nest I cracked the tile below my egg cooking a round of pizzas. With the egg on the ceramic feet right on the marble, it may get a little too hot and scorch your wood below. Just a thought!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • KingtUT
    edited March 2014
    jdc3798 said:
    KingtUT said:

Awesome! Looks easy enough for a beginner. Do you have any plans or a specific material list that you could share? Also, what size egg is that? I want to make a table very similar to this for my large. Thanks and great job..

I thought this was going to be a lot easier than it turned out to be but I'm a perfectionist so who knows. The frame was 66"wide, 27" deep and 31" tall. I think I used 8 2x4's , and I actually bought two sheets of each of the ply woods listed but I have quite a bit left over. Also used 2 of the 1x6x8's. I think that's about it. It was the first drawer I ever built and it seemed to take the longest. It's a large egg. If you want the egg to sit deeper into the table than mine does I would add about an inch and a half to the depth of the frame due to hinge clearance. My hinge opens down into the cutout made for it but without the ceramic feet the hinge didn't have the needed clearance.
  • KingtUT
    Nice looking table. I might recommend the table nest though. Even with the table nest I cracked the tile below my egg cooking a round of pizzas. With the egg on the ceramic feet right on the marble, it may get a little too hot and scorch your wood below. Just a thought!

I cooked some burgers for my first cook with the egg in the table. 450 degrees for about 20 minutes and the granite wasn't even the slightest bit warm. I will continue to monitor it but I just don't see it being a problem at all due to the 3/4 inch air gap between the egg and the granite. Thanks.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice job! Look's great

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Very Nice. I need to build one for XL sometime soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dulax43
    Dulax43 Posts: 18
    Very nice

Champlin, MN

LBGE - August, 2013

• KingtUT

After another longer cook that started at 600 and then wentdown to 400, it's seems you are right. No damage is done but the feet didn't prevent the stone from getting hot. I think I'm going to get a friend to cut my old egg nest down to where its only 1.5 to 2 inches tall and use it instead of the feet. Thanks again.