Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan question

Options
When cooking items such as brisket or pork butt I have used a drip pan usually filled with water or apple juice or something. It is usually sitting directly on the plate setter. I would like to do a brisket in the next week or two but I actually want to save the drippings for pouring back over the meat. Should I raise the drip pan off of the plate setter and what do you use to do that? I just do not want the drippings to burn or evaporate. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
thanks
Chuck

Suwanee, GA

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    IMO, you should put some space between the drip pan and plate setter no whether you want to use the drippings or not. I use 4 copper tees.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I have used the Egg's feet before.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options

IMO, you should put some space between the drip pan and plate setter no whether you want to use the drippings or not. I use 4 copper tees.
    This.  What you use as a spacer probably doesn't matter that much as long as you have something.  Definitely add some liquid if you want to save the drippings.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Raise the drip pan off the setter, and get as much air gap between the pan and setter as you can. The setter will be exposed to burning lump and will get quite hot. Wads of foil, copper tees, dollar store cooling racks etc all work. 

EDIT - if you have room, you may want to use a shallow drip pan on the cooking grid and a rack that gets the meat above the sides of the drip pan. This will still expose the meat to smoke and produce bark and maximize the drippings recovered. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    +1 on the space. ..I used one for the first time earlier this week for my brisket. ..had lots of drippings. A while ago I made my own redneck raised grid with parts from Home Depot.. I've used it a ton...With the brisket this week I used the platesetter the the regular grid...empty drip pan on the grid...then the brisket on the raised one straddling the pan.

Here are pics of my raised design... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161844/homemade-3-tier#latest

Fwiw I saw a 22" weber grid at walmart without the hinges last week for like 15 bucks...wish I would have found these earlier.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...