Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to find whole brisket in maryland

Options
I've had serious trouble finding anything but flats here in Maryland. Does anyone up here know of a good spot that has them regularly? I'm on the eastern shore just outside of Annapolis.
Tim, Maryland Meat Masters, LBGE, Queenstown, MD

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Have you tried asking a butcher if they can order one for you?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I live on Kent Island and have had the same issue. Sams does not have them and neither does Safeway. I am told Walmart in Severn but I have not made it over there yet. Please post when you find one.
    Thanks,
    Chester, MD
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    There is a place in Indian Head. He can even get prime briskets if you call ahead.

Good luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited March 2014
    Options
    What about central meats? Prices don't seem too bad. Up front money on half a cow always seems high but nothing compares to fresh meat. I paid little over 3$ a pound for the half I got. If I ever lose my source ill be calling them. http://www.centralmeats.com/index.asp
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• s_austin_egger
    Options
    You guys should seriously consider moving to Texas. ;)
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I have tried the high end packer from the locally owned butcher, and I am a big supporter of local business, but honestly I get a better result from the packer sold at walmart (for less than half the price)
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you can make it up to Catonsville(Oella), Trueths is awesome. 3.99/lb for a packer but their other meat is fantastic. They supply high end restaurants from NC up to Massachusetts. There used to be a fantastic Butcher in Annapolis but he closed shop a few years ago.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 324
    Options
    Sysco Foods on Route 1 in Elkridge. Went there about two months ago. Had four or five at any given time.

http://www.syscodiscountfoodcenter.com/ordereze/directions.aspx
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Restaurant Depot in Baltimore
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Restaurant Depot in Baltimore
    +1
    I get mine from Restaurant Depot too. I think sams club have them. not sure though. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I don't live in Maryland. However, my best packers have been from a Mom & Pop butcher. RD is also a good place to look. Sams always has full packers but, the marbling is never the quality the butcher packers have (and the butcher price is almost the same per # as Sams Club).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RavenEggHead
    Options
    Sudlersville Meat Locker.  Since you are in Kent Island they are about 30 minutes from you.  I am in Centreville and I go there frequently.  You can call and order anything you want over the phone and they will trim it and prep it exactly how you want.  I got a bone in prime rib for Christmas from them and it was excellent. I've also bought bacon, chicken and pork butts from them, everything has been great.  You can get it fresh or frozen.  The items that you get frozen come in a food saver bag. Check out their web site. 
  • Tluke63
    Tluke63 Posts: 18
    Options
    I actually had someone tell me about Sudlersville this weekend and looked into them. I will definitely be checking that place out. Thanks for the help.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Sudlersville Meat Locker.  Since you are in Kent Island they are about 30 minutes from you.  I am in Centreville and I go there frequently.  You can call and order anything you want over the phone and they will trim it and prep it exactly how you want.  I got a bone in prime rib for Christmas from them and it was excellent. I've also bought bacon, chicken and pork butts from them, everything has been great.  You can get it fresh or frozen.  The items that you get frozen come in a food saver bag. Check out their web site. 

Thanks for the tip,  looks like a place worth checking out....and they sell muskrat???/  Honestly first time I have ever seen that---what am I missing out on there  :)

Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I was in the Severn area today so I popped into the Super Walmart.  They had two a #11 and a #12 for $2.98 per lb of USDA Choice.  I got the 12lber.  Dated 4/10/14.  Not sure when I am going to have time to cook it but at least we now have another place to get them! 
    I will check out the Sudlersville Meat Locker too.  I'll report back once I go there.
    Chester, MD
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Fellas I live on the shore also, the Walmart in denton normally has packers in stock. I have not been up to Sudlersville meat locker yet but I have emailed them and they also stock pork belly. I want to say it was 1.99 or 2.99 a pound. Wanted to try and cold smoke some before it gets warn but I have not had time. Also if your going up to Sudlersville there is a meat market in Delaware towards Dover called haas meats might want to check them out Good luck
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @chainsaw19 muskrat is a dark greasy meat. Now that I'm typing this I bet muskrat would taste good cooked on an egg.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I've also had pretty good luck with the quality of the packers at Walmart.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    x2 on Sudlersville Meat Locker
    Gambrills,Maryland

• stevehk1
    stevehk1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I've gotten them from Trueths and Restaurant Depot but I have always been just as happy with the packers from Walmart for < $3 per pound.

• DenaSmoker
    Options
    If you can make it up to Catonsville(Oella), Trueths is awesome. 3.99/lb for a packer but their other meat is fantastic. They supply high end restaurants from NC up to Massachusetts. There used to be a fantastic Butcher in Annapolis but he closed shop a few years ago.

@eggcelsior Trueths is Awesome.  I get all of my meat from them.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @denasmoker, I plan on stopping by after work today. I love that place, great people.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Not sure where you are located but: Wagner Meats in Mt. Airy, and my favorite Hemps Meats in Jefferson (about 5 miles south of Frederick off  MD340.)
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Not sure where you are located but: Wagner Meats in Mt. Airy, and my favorite Hemps Meats in Jefferson (about 5 miles south of Frederick off  MD340.)
    I need to try Hemps. Wagners is great. I'll take some pics at Treuths today.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Cows go in back there.

I go in here.

Voilà, brisket.

Also grabbed short ribs and a chuck roast.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    how much did the brisky weight?
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
  • Tluke63
    Tluke63 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for all the help, I talked to Sudlersville and they can definitely help me out, just haven't gotten there yet. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I went to Sudlersville for the first time on Friday for a brisky that i cooked on Sunday night.  I got a 14lb choice packer for $4.17 per lb. 
    Chester, MD
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    BTW, I just bought ~150lbs of steaks, burger (~45and roasts - for ~$600. at hemps...) will need to go back soon to get some pork chops, butts and a couple of whole packer (brisket)