Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10lb Whole Sirloin

Options
GoVols
GoVols Posts: 216
Scored a great deal on this 10lb whole sirloin , $2.99 per pound...Any ideas on how to cook it...I was thinking about indirect at 250 until about 125...Then slice and sear until done as everybody wants....Let me know what you think.
Tim Rickman,Tn.

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    that sounds like a good plan to me, although I've never done a sirloin roast.  good luck and post pics!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Just curious about the meat you are asking about.  I'm always looking for new cuts to try. Was it labeled anything other than 'Sirloin' - like 'Top Sirloin', 'Sirloin Tip', etc?  I'm always checking out new markets for what cuts they carry.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GoVols
    Options
    USDA Top Choice Sirloin
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

GoVols said:
    USDA Top Choice Sirloin
    Do you mean USDA Choice Top SIrloin?  If so, my BJs carries them from time to time. Since 10 pounds is too big for us, I generally cut it in half and tie it so it has a better 'roast shape'. Then I cook at about 250 grid and reverse sear to finish.  Tastes good.  Not as good as a roast made from a NY Strip section, but it is a lot cheaper.  I think the last one I bought at BJs was around $3.50 per pound.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GoVols
    Options
    Yes USDA Choice Top Sirloin.
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I buy whole top sirloins from Costco. After trimming them up and removing any silver skin,I cut off a piece from the small end to square up the whole piece. Then cut 3 or 4 roasts that are about 3" thick. Cut in the direction so it resembles a very thick top sirloin steak. Cut up any remaining scrapes for stroggie or fajita meat. I cook these like I do tri-tips, raised direct about 350 until 110-115, then reverse and rest to finish about 130. In the Santa Maria area besides tri-tip these are used for Santa Maria style bbq and they call them top blocks.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GoVols
    Options
    Got it on , indirect , grate temp. 250...Going to let it cook while gone to church...Got it put on about 6:30 this morning image
    Tim Rickman,Tn.