Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Beans, or Not To Beans...That is the Question!

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been a while since this was done, but there are lots of new Forum members, so here goes....[p]Was up a large portion of the night with some sort of stomach thing, and came home from work at noon with the same. The intent was to get some rest. Naturally, before I could get home, Chubby calls and renders both ears incapable of being put on a pillow.[p]After about an hour of fitful sleep, I get up and do what everyone with a stomach bug does....I put on a pot of chili. Hey! It's supposed to be in the 40's tonight in South Texas...I'm in the spirit of the moment.[p]Anyway, I diced up and browned some center-cut sirloin, garlic and onion...added my Comino, tomatoes/sauce and crushed New Mexico Red Chili...will add a little beer in a moment for gusto (really good, BTW)....Unfortunately, I didn't have it in me to do it on the Egg.[p]Now, here we go with the question...beans, or no beans? I'm a bean man...always have been...always will be. OK....I'm ready to duck :0)...IMHO, NO BEANS IS HOT DOG SAUCE....Heeeee! Remember, it's all in good fun....What's your preference?[p]The Chubby made me do it...for those of you familiar with Animal House...(he's the one sitting on my left shoulder).[p]Mike[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    to hell with texas tradition. . ..add some beans!!!!!!!

• Sandbagger
    Options
    LawnRanger, Cold front brought winds out of the north, beans OK with me. Tom

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Winds just hit...branches hitting my house that I've never knew could. I'm from Lubbock, remember? This is like old times! I really do kinda miss the wind...kinda....no, never mind.[p]I hear the Chub has some incriminating evidence on you, too. He's a dangerous man with a camera....he knows no shame, and he has no scruples....pity.[p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I knew you were a kindred spirit.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    Beans, just don't put 'em in the pot 'less you're makin' "chile beans". I don't see a speck of ground meat in your recipe; put on a big pot ol' pintos and serve 'em with the chile.[p]Ken "too long in New Mexico" Stone

• Humpty
    Humpty Posts: 27
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    It just ain't chili without a good dose of beans. I typically add two types in mine--red kidney and black.[p]Larry

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    As you can see, I'm not doing much this afternoon. No, you're correct...no ground meat...I diced up a center-cut sirloin.[p]My best to you and Diana.[p]Mike

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Gottas go with Max on this one. Beans for me please.

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    Our best to you and yours.[p]Now if you're Really under the weather, there's nothing for it like a pot of New Mexico Green. Equal parts green chile and pork, maybe half of that onion... miscellaneous herbs and spices.[p]Ken

• BlueSmoke,
    Do you have a recipe for the New Mexico Green?[p]Rob

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I've got the Green...I need the recipe, please.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    LawnRanger, I normally do not want beans, but no since your up all night you can have some real nice flamers in the dark, so the kids what a cool dad they have!!

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    tach18k,
    I wonder if this may have been what The Whiz was referring to the other night when he was remembering the "Purple Flame" from his college days?

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    LawnRanger,[p]Ok...I'm just going to blurt it out!![p]
    Being shamelessly "Bi"...when It comes to chili...I could go [p]either way, and often do!!!!!![p]
    Just tell me when to come over.[p]
    Glad you're feeling better!!!![p]Legumes... to you!![p]Evans[p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Chubby,
    I suspected this all along.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    Chili is Chili. Chili with beans in it is Chili With Beans. There...[p]Spring "Musical Fruit Player" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I never thought of it like that...you're right....end of thread. Gotta go pick up Marina Ranger, do homework, practice piano...you know...the rewarding part of life...really![p]Mike

• YankeeBBQ
    Options
    Replace the chicken with pulled pork in this recipe. It's dynomite. I've even made it with canned chiles and I think it's darn good.[p]Click Link

[ul][li]I'm the link[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    YankeeBBQ's recipe below sounds good. At our house, New Mexico Green is "a grandma recipe". That is, there's no recipe: start with pork, chile and onion; add what "feels good" at the time.[p]I usually start by browning country ribs in a splash of oil. If I have a pound of pork, I'll next put half a pound (or more) coarsely chopped onion in the pot, stirring it around till it softens. Add water just to the top of the pork, add (in this example) more or less a pound of green chile. (By the way, the Bueno brand chile mentioned is Good Stuff.) At this time add a couple cloves crushed garlic, a healthy pinch of oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and stew until the pork begin to disintegrate. If the broth is too thin, just take the lid off and let it cook down.[p]How long does it take? Darned if I know - I just put a pot on in the morning and let it simmer till dinner.[p]Ken

• Jingles
    Options
    Serve them sepatately. Let the individual decide works in our family. Personally I a no beans.
    Jingles
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Thanks, Ken. Bueno is bueno around here. I never thought of using it with pork as a chili...Sounds great![p]Mike

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    LawnRanger,[p]I hate to say this since I know it's treason and I'm risking beheading, but I kind of like having beans in my chili.[p]That said, I also appreciate a thinner chili, and not having beans in it helps keep it lower carb (probably risking more treason and beheadings here by bringing up dieting during a chili discussion...).[p]So in summary, I'll remain happily straddling the fence on this one :)
    Cornfed

• LawnRanger, Your recipe looks good. Use the pinto beans or navy beans, just not those nasty kidney beans. Now that you are using the beans, you will have newfound "firepower". This could be a good opportunity to harness that "firepower" and try a wood burned effect on some of those
    beautiful handles that you make. And besides methane makes a cooler
    flame than propane!

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    I can take or leave the beans, it doesnt matter, but I do put a can of beans in the processor and turn them into a cream, that helps thicken the chili and smooths out the texture. HTH

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    Red beans and Kidney beans, for "kill Mike's gut chili" from Tammy.[p]Mike

• crkscrw
    Options
    LawnRanger,[p]Well, I'm a Texan too, and I don't use onions or tomatoes in my chili, but I do like beans--pinto or black-- never kidney. That would be totally yankee ;)
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Mike
    It looks like you have a situation that you can have it the best of the both ways.
    1. you take a couple of cans of pintos and throw them in the mix. Can't go wrong.
    2. Take a couple cans of pintos and throw them in a pot with any or all of the following, sauteed chopped onions, chopped hot peppers (and as much) of your choice, bacon, salt pork, green pepper, red pepper.
    Combine whatever you are using with your meat mixture or spoon the meat mixture over the bean mixture.
    billyg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    i like beans in chili, if there is no beans then a bean sandwich with a little pulled pork on top would work as a side. i like a mix of kidney, red beans and yellow eyes. skip the navy and pinto for this new englander

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it