Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time doin the butt!!!

GeorgeS
GeorgeS Posts: 955
Ok ok I couldn't resist! I'm tackling two 4-3/4 lb Boston butts tomorrow. These are my first, I have washed, dried and rubbed them down with Dizzy Dust and a little extra kosher salt. I plan to cook them indirect at about 250. I am cooking them for the adults at my daughters fifth bday party on Sunday. Any guess on a time frame on these boys? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Oh oh! Man oh man. Somebody is liable to get their panties in a bunch over this. :)) That's a good looking butt...pics throughout the cook. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I know some one who likes your style.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    7-10 hours at 250°. You might consider a 350° cook... be done in about 5 hrs. I just did my first "turbo" cook a couple of days ago. Just as good as the lo and slo, IMO. And MUCH faster!! No foil, just throw it on at 350° and come back later.

And you don't have to wash butts. Just take them out of the packaging, season and throw 'em on the egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GeorgeS
    7-10 hours at 250°. You might consider a 350° cook... be done in about 5 hrs. I just did my first "turbo" cook a couple of days ago. Just as good as the lo and slo, IMO. And MUCH faster!! No foil, just throw it on at 350° and come back later.

And you don't have to wash butts. Just take them out of the packaging, season and throw 'em on the egg.
    I've got the whole day to enjoy my first butt sooooooo I think I'm gonna drag this one out and take my time! After all I might only get to do it once! LOL I might try the turbo next time.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Teedoff
    Teedoff Posts: 65
    I see what you did there. :))
    Decatur, AL
  • GeorgeS
    cazzy said:
    I remember my first butt like it was yesterday...I slathered it in oil, then I rubbed in my Butt Rub, what a tight fit it was on my large. Wow, that sucker was perfect! The bone pulled clean and I just shredded that fat juicy butt! Man, we had some great pulled pork! photo PORKBUTT4of7_zpsb8bdfcdd.jpg

See that's what I'm talking bout! I want to remember taking my first butt even if I am able to do it again and again and again. I'm really hoping that my extra large destroys those butts.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @cazzy‌...beautiful wordsmith you are :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • More filth. This should be a more family friendly place. Whatever happened to just cooking good food?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014

More filth. This should be a more family friendly place. Whatever happened to just cooking good food?

Get your mind out of the gutter you pathetic filthy soul. :P I was talking about my very memorable 1st butt cook. ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    No matter what the first time is always memorable!
    Southern Indiana
  • GeorgeS
    More filth. This should be a more family friendly place. Whatever happened to just cooking good food?

No filth here my friend just enjoying the journey of my first butt!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503

His butt must be a really uptight fit on a large...

Sounds like you got one caught sideways... Don't think I'd enjoy anywhere that you'd consider family friendly.
  • GeorgeS
    I don't know about everyone else but my kids are not on Internet forums and I doubt there are any underage kids on this forum. It is all in fun and I'm sure that any adult would have picked up on the title and not opened the thread if they thought they weren't going to like it.

That being said, my butts are handling themselves quit nicely on the Xl and I will put up some pics later.
  • GeorgeS
    Two hours in damn that smells good!

photo 3D37614B-75F1-4C21-8055-6897BFE07230_zpsreug2ueb.jpg
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    2.99lb........ouch. Have a Wegmans near you?
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • GeorgeS
    Yea we do, this was a last minute decision and my wife was close to Giant and Wegman's was too far away. Next time I will look for a better deal.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    GeorgeS said:

Yea we do, this was a last minute decision and my wife was close to Giant and Wegman's was too far away. Next time I will look for a better deal.

Do you have a Restaurant Depot nearby? If so, I think a KCBS membership is worth it just for RD access alone.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GeorgeS
    No restaurant depots. We have Costco though which has great meat deals I just didn't have a chance to get there. Neither of my girls wanted me to go out last night so my wife went for me but didn't want to drive all over town.
  • GeorgeS
    I'll right guys I'm gonna need a little finishing advice. I'm guessing I have a couple hours left I'm sitting right about 170. How much fat if any do you guys leave in the pulled meat? Any need to FTC if I'm serving it tomorrow? Do I need to let it rest before pulling and if so how long?
  • GeorgeS
    Just topped 180, any of you seasoned butt veterans around for finishing advice see above^^^

photo D0910FF6-2FB2-4668-A2B1-631CC2E41653_zpsc6x6lwi3.jpg
  • GeorgeS
    OMG I just pulled it off the grill and it crumbled under its own weight! I don't even think it needs sauce. I'm gonna mix up a vinegar based sauce and make some homemade slaw! Damn it tastes good!
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Looks good.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    No need to FTC if its for tomorrow. I pulled mine hot, put it in zip lock freezer bags, chilled them in an ice water bath and then in the fridge till reheat time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GeorgeS
    @DMW Thank you sir! I told my wife if I wasn't so full from dinner it would be just like thanksgiving, 11pm samiches!
  • GeorgeS
    photo E13368AC-8649-4423-891E-DC3DD7FB2EBB_zpsacjoad6b.jpg
  • DMW said:
    Do you have a Restaurant Depot nearby? If so, I think a KCBS membership is worth it just for RD access alone.
    So you're telling me that if I get a membership to KCBS that I can then purchase a membership to RD? Is this true? If so, how do I go about this?
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    So did you pull at 180?
  • GeorgeS
    edited March 2014
    No I pulled them at about 185. Do you guys pull them earlier?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2014
    If it probes like buttah than it's good. Personally I have never pulled one before 197, but then again each chunk of meat has a mind of its own. @GeorgeS yours looks good.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.