Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The torch has been passed

Comments

• cazzy said:
    Damn...maybe you should give him both your eggs!! :D

Easy tiger. One at a time. Gives a whole new meaning to "empty nester" :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    This makes me happy. I have two boys 6 and 4, would make me proud if they ever asked for a BGE. Congrats cen-tex.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Nice job teaching him.  Sorry your Longhorns are getting spanked by my Wolverines.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Nice job teaching him.  Sorry your Longhorns are getting spanked by my Wolverines.

yes they are. They tried to make it interesting but too little too late. Your boys couldn't miss a shot if they tried today.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Cen_Tex-When you hit a home-run you can grand-stand around the bases!!  Dang-what a shot out of the gate.  No pressure on the next one-Tasty eats abound!  Congrats to your son!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I love this story. Where's he taking it?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2014
    And to the victor goes the spoils. Here he is learning how to cut it. The point was unreal. Juices just pouring out. I'm sure the pics don't do it justice but the kid nailed it. He's grinning ear to ear. The nasty bits were awesome too. Got some good chop out of the end cuts. Like black gold.

imageimageimageimage
  • booksw said:

I love this story. Where's he taking it?

Up to dallas for school. He and his buddies rented a house.
  • love the knife skills too! check out the way he's holding that blade. Like a Cordon Bleu Grad :))

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Very cool..good to see. My older daughter is a senior too.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Cross section looks great!  Good job trimming!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • If that's not perfect I don't know what is! Nice Shun in both those pics too by the way!
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm imagining CT drunkenly yelling at the imaginary coach:

"Come on! Put my boy in the game! Don't you want to win coach? Come on! Put Billy in the game!"

Next, he goes Uncle Rico:

"Man, if I could just go back... If Coach played me in the fourth quarter, we'd gone to state. We'd be state champs!"

Next, CT softly weeps into his beer. His eldest is taking his 9 year old egg to school and TFJ won't allow meat on her new "baking" egg.

Now folks, this may seem strange but it's just a bit of foreshadowing. CT will be "that guy" at his son's cooking exams since he will go into culinary school with this new found enthusiasm for smoking brisket. After that awkward exchange, he will be sitting on his son's couch weirding out the girls "Billy" invited over to celebrate. All the while, he'll be rueing the day he let his son cook a brisket while his last effort was the self-imposed Salado massacre.

Living in a van, selling off-brand Tupperware.
    The future holds such promise.

You'll always be a champ to us, CT. You'll always be Captain Brisket.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    A tear just welled up in my eye. Beautiful. Just beautiful. That brisket looks phenomenal.

So is he getting the curry egg or the original egg?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Nice post.  He nailed it!  That point is on point, perfect.  We'll see which egg my little guy will claim when he gets that age.  Either a large or small...hopefully the large. lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

I'm imagining CT drunkenly yelling at the imaginary coach: "Come on! Put my boy in the game! Don't you want to win coach? Come on! Put Billy in the game!" Next, he goes Uncle Rico: "Man, if I could just go back... If Coach played me in the fourth quarter, we'd gone to state. We'd be state champs!" Next, CT softly weeps into his beer. His eldest is taking his 9 year old egg to school and TFJ won't allow meat on her new "baking" egg. Now folks, this may seem strange but it's just a bit of foreshadowing. CT will be "that guy" at his son's cooking exams since he will go into culinary school with this new found enthusiasm for smoking brisket. After that awkward exchange, he will be sitting on his son's couch weirding out the girls "Billy" invited over to celebrate. All the while, he'll be rueing the day he let his son cook a brisket while his last effort was the self-imposed Salado massacre. Living in a van, selling off-brand Tupperware. The future holds such promise. You'll always be a champ to us, CT. You'll always be Captain Brisket.
    You left out the scene next March when Cen-Tex is sitting by himself down by the creek
    in Salado while the rest of us revel in his son's brisket - and he cries tears of mixed joy and sadness - proud as a father but feeling obsolete.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Great post CT, thanks for sharing.

Just goes to show that all of the talking and the examples we set as fathers are being noticed and adopted (at least the ones we want them too!).

These moments are the best.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Hey, great job.  Great "teach a man to fish" kind of lesson you gave him.  Sounds like you've raised him right.

My older son (25) didn't take up any interest in grilling until this year once he established his first home.  I let him have my Smoke Hollow combo grill (sear burner, gas grill, coal grill, off-set smoker) to let him cut his teeth.  Maybe I'll get him a kamado for next year.

My younger son (14) has done some stuff on the grills and will smoke bologna and ribs but that's about it for now. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • caliking said:
    A tear just welled up in my eye. Beautiful. Just beautiful. That brisket looks phenomenal. So is he getting the curry egg or the original egg?

that is a good question. He did the brisket in the curry egg so I'm hoping that may have killed the last of the curry. He will probably get the OE (original egg). That way when I buy another one at salado next year I'll have 2 new ones :D
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    you mean you will have 2 curry eggs
    :ar!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    That's the definition of good news and bad news. 

The good news is obvious.  The bad news is now you have to keep a watchful eye on your eggcessories, knives, cutting boards, etc. to make sure they don't relocate to the Big D too ;)  Plus, all good BBQ starts with beer, so soon you'll need to keep him stocked on that too!
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Kids got it down! 
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Nice!!!
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    =D> Nicely done. My 19 yr old Son is showing similar interest in egging and has already expressed that he will have one for his house when he goes out on his own. Smart young man. You did good CT :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Teach a man to 'que and he'll take your Egg? Wha!!??! When did they change that??!!
  • Ragtop99 said:

The good news is obvious.  The bad news is now you have to keep a watchful eye on your eggcessories, knives, cutting boards, etc. to make sure they don't relocate to the Big D too ;)  Plus, all good BBQ starts with beer, so soon you'll need to keep him stocked on that too!
    He asked me today if "his egg" comes with any accessories.  [-(

I told him to cool his jets and get a damn job. kid has entitlement issues :))

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Ragtop99 said:

He asked me today if "his egg" comes with any accessories.  [-(

I told him to cool his jets and get a damn job. kid has entitlement issues :))

Is that something like telling him to pack sand ??

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Please tell me he has long hair and you said hippie at the end of that sentence.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    May as well hand over your forum handle and go find a new hobby besides cooking. What are you going to do for fun now?
    Dunedin, FL