Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The torch has been passed

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
So we get our 2nd egg at Salado last week and the second I got it home #1 son (he's 18) said "you know I'm moving out soon and I'm taking an egg with me". Not exactly what I had in mind but I'll play along. I told him there was no way he was taking an egg until I was sure he knew how to use it. He's always had a moderate interest in cooking and he's been around it his whole life (we owned a restaurant/grocery when they were younger) but he's always preferred others toil away so he could enjoy the fruits of their labor. Lately he has been working on a burger recipe and he cooked it for some friends on a camping trip last week. He said they were great and everyone loved them. He was pretty proud of that and has shown much more interest in learning more since then. So this week I told him that he was going to learn to do steak and the dreaded brisket. He did Carne Asada on Thursday. I wasn't even home but TFJ and little brother gave 2 enthusiastic thumbs up. He did it start to finish and seared it on a cast iron on the spider (I told him what to do but was not there to show him). Last night, I bought a fancy $6 per lb brisket from Whole Paycheck, brought it home and turned him loose. I showed him how to trim it up and season it with salt and pepper. He set up the egg with the adjustable rig, a full load of Rockwood, and ,of course, Post oak chunks. He got the egg stable at 225 ( it was small and we wanted to slow roll it overnight). We stayed up until 2 watching movies making sure it was all set and when we woke up this am it was at 212. I wanted him to learn without the CyberQ and he nailed it. Brisket is looking gorgeous at 192 and coming off here shortly just in time for a little Texas Longhorn March Madness. Looks like he nailed it. Way better than my last effort. Looks like we are going to need another egg. Even better, I have a whole belly that my youngest son and I are going to cure this afternoon. He's going to do it from start to finish including the cold smoke next week when it's ready. We are going to have a crew at Salado next year! Here is the brisket right before it came off. image And here are some pics of the carne asada that TFJ took: imageimageimage
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments