Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Putting the egg away at night..

Question for everyone as this is the first night I have used my egg.  I was burning for about 2 hours at 350* to "break it in"..I closed it up and it got down to about 200*.  Is it ok to put back in the garage for the night?  It's got a nice big parking space in there.  My other option is to leave it on the front porch, but I won't sleep knowing that it's out front.  If it were in the back, a different story.  Soon enough.  
Rochester, NY

Comments

• If the screen on the bottom damper is closed i don't see why putting it in the garage would be a problem. My egg is on the back deck and I've cooked butts on it while I was at work.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Shut the screen door and put the ceramic top on and you should be fine.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I suggest you spend about $70 on a Handler for your Egg to be moving it around. Have on both my Larges as you can see in the first pic. The second pic is a shot of my leg after a Large w/o a Handler landed on me ( I should know what I am doing). No, the Egg did no bust. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Beats me, man.My egg s have never been "put away". I think I "broke mine in" with some chicken or something. Mine has been sitting, uncovered, in New England, on my patio for 4+ years.If I put it in the garage, I'm sure I would have to listen to it's protests!

I don't use a cover because I would have to wait until at least midnight to put it on. Not gonna happen. It's just a grill.

Guess leaving it out depends on your neighborhood. I was recently out of town unexpectedly for about 6 weeks. Two eggs and two Webers sat unmolested on my patio. They didn't disappear. They didn't even mildew!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Agree on the handler... Mine is basically stationary, but I brought it home assembled with the handler on it and when I have moved it, it's been great. I won't get another without it...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Like @Carolina Q my three have always sat on the back porch. No problem. No way I would cover an Egg. Mildew comes to mind.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Don't put it away, keep cooking! :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    I would leave it out. What's your address!
    :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• I'll go ahead and give what my be an "extremist's" response. Burning charcoal produces carbon monoxide. Now, I obviously don't know anything about the size of your home or garage or where your family sleeps in relation to the garage but, that's something I'd be thinking about before I decided to put your BGE in your garage.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I don't want to keep my egg on the patio or deck, so it is in the driveway in front of the detached garage at the back of the property when I'm cooking.  When I'm done cooking, I shut it down and go to enjoy dinner.  An hour or so later, I wheel it into the garage. If some sort of magic fire managed to magically jump out of the completely closed egg, I would worry. 3 years and no issues. :) YMMV
    --------------------------------------
    30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I'll go ahead and give what my be an "extremist's" response. Burning charcoal produces carbon monoxide. Now, I obviously don't know anything about the size of your home or garage or where your family sleeps in relation to the garage but, that's something I'd be thinking about before I decided to put your BGE in your garage.
    I had the same thoughts, but as long as no person or animal is sleeping in the garage, I don't think it should be a problem, I would just recommend in the AM, opening the garage door to let any CO dissipate before spending time working in the garage.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Be sure to have working CO detectors.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Grill66
    Grill66 Posts: 15
    Unless the fire is completely out I wouldn't do it. CO is not something to be messed with.  It just takes one mistake, one time to kill your whole family.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    I put mine in the garage but I wait until the thermometer has bottomed out on it.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    I've put my egg in the garage after a few hours cooling down. I make sure there is nothing close to it and it's been fine.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Or chain it up around the hinge and leave it outside.
    Get a rubber snake to leave next to it..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Don't take any chances, you can replace a BGE...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    It looks like we're responding to an old thread :)

I would leave mine out full time but our patio is small, and living in West Texas everything gets really dusty. As a result, I keep mine in the garage and wheel it out to cook.

I always leave it out overnight and wait for it to completely cool. I never considered putting a hot egg in my garage.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    dang it, I usually look at the dates.  I was just mesmerized by Mickey's leg. :-O
    Be sure to tuck it in carefully and give it a goodnight kiss.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2014
    Love my handler, move it on the patio all the time. It would have tipped by now for sure as I've gone over a bump here and there lucky the handler is sturdy.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

dang it, I usually look at the dates.  I was just mesmerized by Mickey's leg. :-O

DMW said:

Be sure to tuck it in carefully and give it a goodnight kiss.

Epic placement.
    :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I don't care if it's an old thread because this is important - make sure the fire is out and the heat is from the ceramics.

My garage pulls primary AC and heat air from the garage, and if the fire isn't out you could expose your family to high Carbon Monoxide levels.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I do it all the time and have for years. I just don't pull my car in and leave it in the middle of the open floor and leave the garage door open a couple inches. Our new house doesn't have a fence yet so all 4 eggs are in the garage and get rolled in hot after every cook.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @BYS1981‌ so you have an air intake in your garage? Aren't they usually drawing air from inside the house?
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354

I keep my Weber gasser in the garage but will not keep the egg inside. Takes too long to cool down and its on the back patio so I can leave it out on long cooks. Too paranoid to bring it in after a cook.
    Not to derail this thread but wheres the best price on handlers?
    my dealer wanted $100 (large egg) and I passed initially.
    Jacksonville FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2014
    Lit said:

@BYS1981‌ so you have an air intake in your garage? Aren't they usually drawing air from inside the house?

You're right, my cold air return is in main house.

Regardless, it can still expose the house to high CO, I've gone to emergency calls from a car idling hours earlier - I'm sure a BBQ could also.