Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on my new egg:

Options
I read in the BGE literature that I should keep the first few cooks under 350 to help seat the gasket. I don't know if I buy that, but thought I would follow directions. I tried Mahi Mahi and Divers Scalops with olive oil and a citrus rub with lemon, orange, and lime zest, and some savory herbs. Because I was cooking at 350 it to a lot longer than my usual fish cooks at 500 or so. I checked it every 6 minutes and checked it three times before I checked it with a thermnapen and pulled it. I came out very tasty although not as marked as I usually like. I was surprised at how little charcoal I used. My lump pile looked about the same after the cook as it did before. Also the fire was hot but a smoldering type fire with out much flame or glow. I ran the bottom vent between 1/4" and 1/2" and the top vent at a sliver. I settled at 348 and then eased up to 350 on the nose. Wow this egg is very responsive and holds temp very well. I checked my gaskets with the dollar bill test. The gasket in the front is as tight as tupperware, but the gasket to the rear allows the bill to slip through rather easily. However, I saw no signs of leakage. Is this something to address or forget? Is there a posting on lid alignment. Here are some pics. I think I will do a whole spatchedcock chicken over a pan of fingerling potatoes and other root veggies. 

Comments

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    That looks very tasty! Welcome to the forum! That's a very nice first cook!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • TxBeekeeper
    Options
    That looks great! Can't wait to fire mine up for the first time Sunday.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Nice pic. Nice deck. Shiny egg. Life is good. I like scallops in cast iron pan but will do skewer next time. Well done.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Well done! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Nice looking cook and welcome! Like yourself, I kept my temps down too for the first few cooks because they said to. Then I thought I'd try some pizza. Good start and then removed the daisy wheel and went into the house to get some things. Came out about 5 minutes later and we were up to 800 degrees! Lifted the lid, gasket trashed. Was upset but the good folks on here calmed me down. Ordered a new gasket, replaced the old one and all is well. Since, got the A/R, read and read the forum, and things are still well. Great folks on here, and they know what they speak. It's all good my friend.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Nice cook! The gaskets aren't going to last no matter what you do. I think babying them just prolongs the inevitable. I went without any gaskets for many years and had no issues. When I finally put Rutland on, I had lump left over after every cook. Don't overthink, just keep producing great cooks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited March 2014
    Options
    So white and clean inside! Looks great, don't sweat the gasket. It's easy to replace it when you need to. Welcome to the cult, looks like you are already addicted.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Congrats... Welcome from another Newbie... Welcome to this great family...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    +1 to not overthinking it...

I intended to follow the directions on my first times but that was right before I learned that I didn't know jack about controlling temps...I found out the hard way about wrapping the needle on my first time...All that said 6 mo and a couple dozen 800+ cooks later my gasket is still in decent shape...but i got a Rutland on standby.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...