Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upcoming Royal Oak Sale

Options
Just saw that Walmart will have their 17.6 lb. bags of Royal Oak on sale for $8 from 3/23 - 3/29.
Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    TY. Wonder if it will be on sale in the GWN too. Will have to check.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Hogman348
    Hogman348 Posts: 70
    Options
    My home depot just started carrying RO last fall. 22lb for $13 everyday. not a bad deal either!
    Woodstock, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @brianbala - thanks for the heads up. 
    @smokesniffer - our sale week is 03/21-03/27, didn't see RO listed with all the BBQs and patio furniture. Dropping by later today, will let you know what they have. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Went Thursday and bought 25 bags guess they started the pricing early at my walmart
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Thanks will have to check the Walmart near here - pretty good deal.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Hogman348 said:
    My home depot just started carrying RO last fall. 22lb for $13 everyday. not a bad deal either!
    You sure about it being a 22 pound bag? I bought some there last week that was a 17.6 pounder for $12.97 and on the HD web site they only list the 17.6
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    TY. Wonder if it will be on sale in the GWN too. Will have to check.
    I doubt it. However, for the past three years, on Canada Day weekend (around end of June), Lowes Canada had the blue bag 8Kg Royal Oak on sale at 50% off, buy in store or order at Lowes.ca with free shipping.  I expect the same this year, current retail is $14.97 so it'll be $7.50 (depreciated canuckian dollar), even better than this Wally deal south of the border.
    canuckland
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    This is good deal.  I see it in my local ad.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRP
    Options
    Just got back from Wally World with 8 more bags of 17.6 RO. Each bag was solid, seemingly fully packed and not beaten at all, and no rattle rattle! BTW unless an ad will be coming out this is an unadvertised special. Close by was a pallet of RO 8.8 # bags for $6.58...da???now which is the deal??? LOL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just got back from Wally World with 8 more bags of 17.6 RO. Each bag was solid, seemingly fully packed and not beaten at all, and no rattle rattle! BTW unless an ad will be coming out this is an unadvertised special. Close by was a pallet of RO 8.8 # bags for $6.58...da???now which is the deal??? LOL
    It's published in their weekly flyer for March 23. But, it seems like a lot of stores have it out early. I think this flyer goes out in the weekend papers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Options
    Local walmart here had them today(Rochester, ny). Picked up three bags since I had my toddler with me. Going to go back and load up w trailer later tonight or tomorrow. $8 for the 17.6lb bag of RO.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Picked up 5 bags of the sale priced Royal Oak. (45¢ lb.)
    The Kingsford twin 13.9's were still $14.88.
    Looking to pick up a few bags of that, for the Weber, if it goes to $8.98 (32¢ lb.) as the ad says.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Same here. Just picked up 5 bags and might go get a few more tomorrow.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Its the same price in Michigan. $8 for 17.6 lbs. Bought 4.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, you DO keep track of the sell by date don't you? So you use the stuff you bought in 1969 first?   =))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'm sitting this one out. Picked up 100 lb's of double O in Salado, and I think I have another 400 lb's or so in the garage. I'm learning restraint as I age!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Ron, you DO keep track of the sell by date don't you? So you use the stuff you bought in 1969 first?   =))

LOL - being a bean counter I use an inventory method called FIFO (First In First Out) . The only exception are large bags on the very bottom that I bought very cheap 13 years ago. That brand was Chicago Charcoal and might be a collector's item as they may contain bits and pieces of folks offed in that time!
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    Ok so I've recently purchased a couple of bags of the Rockwood, which I've really enjoyed, especially over the BGE brand. Is there any reason I should hop on this sale? whats the difference between the rockwood and Royal oak?
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Rumour has it that BGE and RO are one in the same. RO is a good medium grade charcoal IMO. There are some much better, and there are some much worse. I do think it is hard to beat the value when you are paying $0.50 a pound. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Hard to believe - on sale here in California too.  I'll be picking up a load manana!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    That's what I was understanding... I guess you have a great point when you're looking at price per pound... Hard to be that kind of value.
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @BckPorchGriln‌

Big Green Egg lump is manufactured by Royal Oak. BGE doesn't make it super obvious but you will find it stamped Royal Oak on the outside bag. The exact same lump but bagged under the Big Green Egg name. You will typically find it a whole lot cheaper if you don't mind the bag saying Royal Oak instead of Big Green Egg ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just got 5 bags. Thanks
  • RRP
    Options
    I went back today for 2 more bags. They only had 4 bags left and supposedly the sale hasn't even been officially announced!
  • WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    Options
    I  can only find the 8.8lb bags here in Raleigh.  They run roughly $7.  I wish they had these bigger bags around
  • BoomerTheWeim
    Options
    @WoodsDog , I just picked up some large bags at the Clayton Walmart for $8
    Clayton, NC

Large BGE, Mini BGE, Two Weimaraners
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Went down to wally world, they only had the small bags and there wasn't a sale. Dang! Went to CT as well, pallet of the large bag, 17pound, $14.97. No sale there either. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Just got back from the Grand Blanc, MI store...got 6 bags
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Went down to wally world, they only had the small bags and there wasn't a sale. Dang! Went to CT as well, pallet of the large bag, 17pound, $14.97. No sale there either. 
    Folks are talking about wally world south of the border, I don't expect GWN ww to have the same deal. $14.97 for 8KG is the regular price at crappy tires (CT) and Lowes in GWN.
    canuckland
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @BckPorchGriln‌ Big Green Egg lump is manufactured by Royal Oak. BGE doesn't make it super obvious but you will find it stamped Royal Oak on the outside bag. The exact same lump but bagged under the Big Green Egg name. You will typically find it a whole lot cheaper if you don't mind the bag saying Royal Oak instead of Big Green Egg ;)
    Don't mind it one bit! I liked how it cooked just not the price! I do however like the taste slightly better from the Rockwood but I believe that for that much difference in price that I can sacrifice just a little and by the Rockwood and save it for "Special cooks". Thanks for the info!
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE