Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Chips or Chunks

TxBeekeeperTxBeekeeper Posts: 54
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
First smoke coming up Sunday! Y'all a wood chips or chunks fan? Using my UDS over the past years I always used unsoaked chunks.
·

Comments

• jmcnutt5jmcnutt5 Posts: 74
    What are you smoking? If it is poultry, I would recommend chips because you don't want too much smoke. For long smokes of pork or brisket, I prefer chunks. Everybody has their preference though. Just think of how long you are cooking and remember how many chips it will take to get a chunk. That is why I like chunks. Good luck.
    ·
  • I'm cooking a pork butt first. How many chucks do you use? Couple handfuls?
    ·
  • pantsypantspantsypants Posts: 1,144
    3 or 4 fists worth ?
    Toronto
    ·
  • RzeancakRzeancak Posts: 144
    I've always brought chips when i had one of those gas BBQ things.  lol now i onley buy Chucks... and if i need chips i trim with my hatchet...

Most time i trim anyhow for the quick smoke start then the chucks take over.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

·
  • ZmokinZmokin Posts: 1,060
    I tend to use both, through a few chunks on, toss a handful of chips
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

·
  • sstripes96sstripes96 Posts: 126
    With the butts I scatter 4 or 5 chunks in with the Lump so that as the lump burns down it starts the chunks. I also set one right on top. For poultry or short smokes, I use chips.
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
    ·
  • ZmokinZmokin Posts: 1,060
    Bought 2 bags of chips today at Big Lots, only $2 each, one Mesquite, one Hickory, steal of a deal.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,681
    Wood is wood. It makes no difference what you use. The total volume of wood is what you want to pay attention to. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,187
    Wood is wood. It makes no difference what you use. The total volume of wood is what you want to pay attention to. 
    What he said - in an egg. In a Weber or gasser, different story, but in an egg, it really does not matter. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • texbaggertexbagger Posts: 90
    I use chips, a whole bag of about 3 pounds, mixed in with the lump.  No worries, it smokes for hours! love the final product whether it be pork butt, ribs, chicken, or brisket.  Whatever works.  $2.75 for 3 pounds of chips at my local grocer, HEB in San Antonio. Be it cherry, pecan, oak or hickory, it's all good in the end product.

Thanks for the opportunity for my 2 cents...
    ·
  • mimaulermimauler Posts: 119
    Chunks, chop them if you need smaller size.
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    Like everyone else said, as long as the amount is the same, it doesn't matter.

In one of the half cords of wood that I bought for our competition trailer last year, I got some very short (10" or so) hickory logs mixed in.   I split them with the rest of the wood, but smaller, maybe 1" x 1" by 10".   I  tried using some of them in the Egg - no problem at all, they worked great. 
    ·