Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holding pulled pork over a day.

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
I have always pulled and served pulled pork. Then vac the rest in 1lb bags and freezer. Doing one today for a deal for my wife to serve to some ladies at lunch Sat. How do you guys hold it over 24 hours and reheat? Thanks
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I usually foods aver and fridge instead of freezer then heat in hot bath
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Could probably do the same thing in a regular ziplock since it's just one day, I've done that too. It worked well for me but I'm sort of a newb still...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mickey
    Options
    Will a zip lock hold up to boiling water to heat. The stuff in the vac bags are just right warmed that way after being frozen.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited March 2014
    Options
    This close to tomorrow I would definitely pull it today, then into a ZipLoc overnight. Tomorrow put meat in a Dutch oven, cover add one can of regular Coca-Cola - not diet and NOT Pepsi, stir well, top with lid and warm over low heat, stirring occasionally. Just don't tell the ladies about the Coke trick!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    careful with zip bags, i had one melt in the boiling water once. wasted a perfectly good bag of plastic flavored butt. keep the temp down.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

+1 and the Coca-Cola. I have done this many times.

How muck pork will you serve up?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Options
    Hotch said:

+1 and the Coca-Cola. I have done this many times.

How muck pork will you serve up?

This is six ladies. Have a 7.5 butt now. Guessing 5 lbs. Pull out a lb or so to give my knife instructor today and guess they will eat 2.5 to 3 lbs. nothing to freeze.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited March 2014
    Options
    What @RRP said about Coke but I've never put that much.  I put in a pyrex with 1/4-1/2 cup regular coke or apple juice/cider, cover with foil and put in oven at 250 for 20 mins.  Comes out like it's right off the egg.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @RRP how much pork per can of coke? I'll be reheating a good bit on Sunday in electric roasters.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Go a little lite on the Coca-Cola, start with about a 1/2 can. I use 1 can for around 6-7 lbs pulled. @RRP may have more insight.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    My rule of thumb is a 12 oz can of Coke for 5 pounds. If you never have used it before here's what to expect...once the meat is warmed there will be no trace of sweetness, no taste of Coke and any liquid you'll see in the pan will be clear as water!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    "knife instructor"?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've seen folks make omelettes in ziplocs while camping, so they should work for you. I think I read somewhere that the ideal temp to reheat meat to is 135 -140, so you shouldn't need the water to be boiling.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    caliking said:
    I've seen folks make omelettes in ziplocs while camping, so they should work for you. I think I read somewhere that the ideal temp to reheat meat to is 135 -140, so you shouldn't need the water to be boiling.
    Yeah right! Take your sous vide camping.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Mickey I have had pretty good luck taking Pulled pork to work in a ziplock bag and reheating in a crock pot. Of course I was feeding hungry guys during a refueling outage , so no complaints ! Never tried the Coke Cola trick but have heard several people swear by it !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "knife instructor"?

Last pic is after 4 firings. Now for the hard work. imageimageimageimage

• RiverRatSkier
    Options

Details!  What material?  Any hammering/forging

• Mickey
    edited March 2014
    Options

Details!  What material?  Any hammering/forging

This is SS. He said could forge the next one. Was watching a guy hammer and re hammer. Not sure I can :-t

• Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    If the food was in the danger zone (between 39° to 140° F) for any significant amount of time before being refrigerated/frozen, the recommended re-heat temp to avoid foodborne illness is 165° F.

I’d go for a Dutch oven or oven options rather than heating a Ziploc.
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I tried adding coke to a butt reheat once. It was the worst pulled pork I ever had. Didn't mind wasting the coke, of course... but I DID mind wasting the pork! Maybe I just used too much, don't know, but I have never tried it again.

To each his own, and if you find that you like it, go for it. But before you risk ruining a bunch of perfectly good meat, I would suggest you try a little first.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would food save, refrigerate, then reheat with the method you are accustomed to.  It just won't take as long since it is not frozen.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I usually reheat in a pan with a little apple juice in the bottom. I cover and simmer it on med low heat until it is hot. Usually about 20 minutes.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Options
    Store in ziplock but never reheat in plastic,  I vote for apple juice and reheat in the oven til steamy.  Don't add too much, just keep moist.  Love the food saver for this too where you can reheat in the food saver bags.  I usually freeze and vac seal a couple pounds per bag and freeze.  That vac makes pulled pork last for a couple of months easy.  Same goes for ribs.
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    caliking said:
    If the food was in the danger zone (between 39° to 140° F) for any significant amount of time before being refrigerated/frozen, the recommended re-heat temp to avoid foodborne illness is 165° F.

Where are you getting this information?  To me, if food spends any significant amount of time in the danger zone, it should be thrown away.  The problem with foods in the danger zone is the toxins that are produced, especially heat stable toxins which are not denatured by re-heating.  Pretty much all bacteria that cause food-borne illness are killed at 140 if held at that temp for at least 10 minutes (actually, I think it's 6 or 7 minutes, but 10 to be safe).  Of course, this is my understanding, so if you have better information I'd love to know if I'm wrong.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I've had great luck pulling, let cool to warm, put in large plastic bag, into fridge overnight, out of fridge next day, into crock pot, set on hi and stir occasionally until reach temp, then low, add apple juice optional, add sauce optional, serve.

I hope there's nothing bacterially wrong with that!
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    Options
    caliking said:

Where are you getting this information?  To me, if food spends any significant amount of time in the danger zone, it should be thrown away.  The problem with foods in the danger zone is the toxins that are produced, especially heat stable toxins which are not denatured by re-heating.  Pretty much all bacteria that cause food-borne illness are killed at 140 if held at that temp for at least 10 minutes (actually, I think it's 6 or 7 minutes, but 10 to be safe).  Of course, this is my understanding, so if you have better information I'd love to know if I'm wrong.

@coffeeguydenton I should have been more specific, "by a significant amount of time" I meant between 30 minutes - 2 hours (half that if you're outdoors or on a hot [90°+] cilamte).

Even if you cooked food at 140° long enough to kill all bacteria in it, once it cools down it's subject to ambient contamination (bacteria are pretty much ubiquitous) and if left in the danger zone bacteria will resettle and multiply there.

I'm getting this and related info straigth from the Food Safety Education section of the USDA site, here's a link to a page discussing "Leftovers and Food Safety" at length in case you're interested:

Cheers!

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico