Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Revolution

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    One eyebrow raised... say whaaa?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    That's why I won't live in the PROA People's Republic Of Austin. Vegan BBQ? Heresy IMHO
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    I stopped watching the second I heard the word "vegan"
    Pentwater, MI
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited March 2014
    I hate when Vegans and Vegetarians try to take a name of an inherently meat based dish and throw vegan/veggie in front of it.

Veggie fajitas. Fajitas by nature have meat in them. Call it a veggie wrap.
    Veggie chili. Chili always has meat in it, otherwise it's soup. Call it soup.
    Vegan cheese. Cheese is a dairy product. Call it vegan sandwich filler.
    Veggie hot dogs. Hot dogs MUST have meat, often time from parts of animals we can't name. Call it a veggie mash log.
    Veggie meat loaf. Meat loaf. Just call it Veggie loaf.
    BBQ IMPLIES Meat. Call it something else! 

These people are so creative taking an existing dish and stripping out all the good stuff, but they can't come up with an original name. Drives me nuts. 

Rant. Over.

Dunedin, FL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    yzzi said:
    I hate when Vegans and Vegetarians try to take a name of an inherently meat based dish and throw vegan/veggie in front of it.

Veggie fajitas. Fajitas by nature have meat in them. Call it a veggie wrap.
    Veggie chili. Chili always has meat in it, otherwise it's soup. Call it soup.
    Vegan cheese. Cheese is a dairy product. Call it vegan sandwich filler.
    Veggie hot dogs. Hot dogs MUST have meat, often time from parts of animals we can't name. Call it a veggie mash log.
    BBQ IMPLIES Meat. Call it something else! 

These people are so creative taking an existing dish and stripping out all the good stuff, but they can't come up with an original name. Drives me nuts. 

Rant. Over.

+1.  Add veggie pizza and veggie lasagna to the list.  Whenever anyone offers them to me I go off.  I explain that the dish they are offering me may be very tasty and I may like it - but it is not "pizza" or "lasagna" as I know it because it does not have meat - so they need to come up with another name. 

I know there are a lot of people here who will disagree with me, particularly on the pizza...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Veggie pizza I can understand. But if they slap a vegan in front of pizza or lasagna....so help me.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Change "meat" to "cheese" and I can agree.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited March 2014
    It's politically correct these days to be a vegetarian or better yet a vegan, but not necessarily healthy. Our friends in the White House among others are pushing this diet as part of their political agenda. Diets high in carbs and low in protein are now the defacto standard in many schools. I see bumper stickers that say "Become a vegan and save the world". ?? My version, " Eat like a peasant that can't afford meat and save the world". There is a lot of bad science, false and misleading statements in many books and web pages about vegan diets. None of them mention that soy products among other foods may not be good food, particularly men and diabetics. Cheap to grown and process yes, good for me NO. 

My rant

Albert Einstein