Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you food vac/food saver moist seafood?

Options
EGG_Daddy
EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
I want to make up a bunch of candy salmon.  I travel for work 3 weeks out of the month.  Can I use the food saver when there is a coat of maple syrup on the salmon or will it go bad?

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    sorry that I don't know what candy salmon is so I'll ask...is it already cooked? Do you normally keep it cold or frozen afterward? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    I vac-seal,and freeze my smoked salmon. Recommend that. Lasts a looong time in deep freeze.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    I have only made it once.  And it was amazing.  I will try the vac-seal and freeze method.  Those of you that haven't made candy salmon need to do so immediately.  image

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Try freezing the candy salmon first then vac seal it?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    caliking said:
    Try freezing the candy salmon first then vac seal it?
    This is what I would do.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    The ziplock vac seal bags with hand pump work much better with liquids in the bag than foodsaver does. Hvae been using them to s/v meats with liquid.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I can! Hehehe

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• duchunter
    duchunter Posts: 110
    Options

I have been making Candi Salmon for years, when I finish mine off wit the maple syrup I leave it in the smoker for a short time to glaze over, I then put in the refer over night. Vacuum Pack the next day, never have had a moisture issue. Freezes very well.

Good Luck 

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    BTW, that stuff looks damn tasty. Bookmarked.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    edited March 2014
    Options
    One alternative I haven't seen posted.  I put my really wet and tender stuff in cheap hard plastic containers, fill to the rim, place lid on top, burp out the air, freeze it, then put the whole frozen thing in a vac bag.  I have done this many times with good results.  I prefer to pop the whole frozen form out of the container and then vacuum seal that.  I have even left them in the container.  Works well for Chili, soup, or any other wet foods.  Makes for easy handling and reheating.  Whatever works for ya my friends!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    texbagger said:
    One alternative I haven't seen posted.  I put my really wet and tender stuff in cheap hard plastic containers, fill to the rim, place lid on top, burp out the air, freeze it, then put the whole frozen thing in a vac bag.  I have done this many times with good results.  I prefer to pop the whole frozen form out of the container and then vacuum seal that.  I have even left them in the container.  Works well for Chili, soup, or any other wet foods.  Makes for easy handling and reheating.  Whatever works for ya my friends!
    +1 I do that sometimes too; it also helps to shave off sharp edge from around the rim.
    canuckland