Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter Misfortune

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Did a reverse sear London Broil on the small tonight. When I grabbed the PS to pull it out by one leg I managed to smack the PS against something and broke it... I can't with a clean conscious try a warranty claim on it. It was my fault, or maybe I should send the bill to Guinness...

If I got a Woo and cut the other legs off could I use it as the indirect piece in the Woo?
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Pretty clean break, I'd try some JB Weld first, and if doesn't stay together, then cut the legs off. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Some times JB Weld will help the situation.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    +1 for JB Weld. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bottomfeeder
    Options
    If you have any ceramic  or pottery stores near by take it to them and see if it can be repaired. I know that years ago they use to mix a additive to the slip ( which is liquid clay), and have them refire it for you. It might just work.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This should fix it. At least it LOOKS like it should. Haven't needed it yet. 

Cotronics in Brooklyn also makes a product, but they have a minimum purchase.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Options
    Looks like it might have had a crack already with the residue seeping into it in the middle looks like it is cooked into it.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll give JB a shot. I really only use the PS for low-heat on the small, so JB should hold.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here's the Cotronics product I was thinking of. Call 'em and ask if it will work. I never heard from Mark as to how it held up with his firebox repair.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @Justacookin good eye. I say warranty is in order w/o guilt. You can always get a grate in similar size and put 1st grate down on fire ring then PS then grate on top of that. That's how I do reverse sear now. CI grid Ps on top of that then factory grate
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Justacookin‌ is spot on. Mine has had a hairline crack for a while. I'd get the warranty replacement unless you got drunk and threw it down.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Yep, that was definitely already cracked.  You can see the discoloration on both pieces.
    NOLA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    It's ceramic- stains would likely seep into the porous material. I say good excuse for a AR. Or maybe I'm still looking for an excuse to buy one myself
    Greensboro, NC
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I am a big advocate of not abusing warranties and even I think you have a claim based upon that grease that soaked in there. Give it a shot.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Options
    No one is concerned about using some of the chemicals in the adhesives in a cooking device?