Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cherry wood smoke

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
I am going to smoke a brisket for Sunday late lunch/early supper. I have used oak, mesquite, pecan and applewood for smoke in the past. Mesquite was the strongest (perhaps to strong). Apple was the lightest (usually use it for poultry). But, until now haven't used any cherry wood. So those of you that have used on a brisket>>> how was the flavor and smoke ring? Did you soak your chips or use them dry? And....go
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I've never used cherry on brisket myself; although I have used it with chicken.

Regardless of what I am smoking or the type of smoke wood I use, I never soak. Just mix the chunks or chips right in the lump.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    if i were going to use cherry on a brisket, i would mix it with oak. i pretty much always mix it, cherry and hickory on pork, pecan and cherry with turkey or chicken thighs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I love the aroma cherry produces. I recently scored peach and it smells amazing as well. 

I would mix cherry with oak at mention above. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I'd go for it there's no hard and fast rules.  I've used Mesquite for chicken and turkey just not 5 or 6 big chunks.  I've mixed Apple, Cherry, Pecan, Hickory, Oak just for experimenting and have tried it on just about everything.  Try keeping a log it will help in the future.  I never use chips anymore just chunks, if you need to when you want less smoke chop your chunk with a little axe and I never soak anything either.     
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited March 2014
    Options
    mimauler said:
    I'd go for it there's no hard and fast rules.  I've used Mesquite for chicken and turkey just not 5 or 6 big chunks.  I've mixed Apple, Cherry, Pecan, Hickory, Oak just for experimenting and have tried it on just about everything.  Try keeping a log it will help in the future.  I never use chips anymore just chunks, if you need to when you want less smoke chop your chunk with a little axe and I never soak anything either.     
    Often easier said than done! :)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I love cherry wood on chicken, ribs, and rib roast, so I think it would be fine.  Like @fishlessman said though, there is just something "right" about oak and a brisky.  I would mix it with oak if you want to give it a try.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I always use oak as a baseline on briskets. I usually mix
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    I use cherry on all beef, love it.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My go to is a mix of pecan/cherry.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like mesquite on brisket, in small amounts. Sometimes, it is just mesquite lump mixed in with a very neutral lump, maybe a 30/70 ratio. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Think I'll mix cherry and oak as suggested. I personally never soak my chips or chunks but, wanted to see what the general consensus was. This will be my (scratching head) 8th brisky on the egg. I've made probably close to 30 over the last 5 yrs. The briskys off the egg are hands down the best (thus why my old Brinkman smoker sits in the shed collecting dust). The one for Sunday is a flat. I've done a few choice packers also but, I do like my flats. I hear a lot of complaints that their flat is dry etc but, thus far mine have been moist, great flavor, like butta and solid smoke ring. I hope to keep with that streak with this one. I will post pics and a step by step so to speak for documentation for future briskys. But, we all know each one of them is a bit different. Again thanks for y'alls candid responses :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Whenever I use cherry, it's always mixed with something else. I usually use it for poultry though, and sometimes I'll add a small chunk with oak for beef/pork.
    Dunedin, FL
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I've used cherry with turkey before, but haven't for beef. It was very nice. Tends to give a darker color. I've mixed it with pecan for chicken and pork, and it was really good. I'd guess it would be good with beef. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I use Cherry Pecan mix for chicken and ribs or hickory on ribs. I have always used Oak on Brisket.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Cherry and oak...no need to soak
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    I use cherry and Pecan, it works for me on briskets.. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Update>>> just cleaned up from smoking ribs. Enjoying a Corona and lime. Injected my #6 flat with fresh but room temp black coffee. Dried surface, applied my rub, covered and back into the refrigerator she goes. Until a bit later...
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Thread Bump @NPHuskerFL‌ how was it with the Cherry..doing one tonight and have cherry in the egg, pulling the trigger in A few? @SGH‌ ?....I usually don't use any added smoke
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    In my opinion cherry compliments almost every wood very well. Due to compounds found in cherry, pound for pound it will produce the best possible smoke ring. I'm a huge fan of oak and pecan and use them for most everything. But when I want to really impart a heavy smoke ring, cherry is used in place of or in combination with the other two. It's personal taste but I find that cherry falls in between Apple and Pecan as far as potency. Subtle but not substantial if you will.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Cherry is really good. However, my go to with brisket is mostly Oak. Cherry gave a real nice color & flavor but, for me personally the Oak will always win on brisket.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    ^^^^^that. That right there is why I keep coming back to this forum.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Brother Husker I will be coming to Pensacola around New Years. Not sure how far you are from there. If you are close I will bring a pallet of cherry for you. I just aquired a couple of trees. Will gladly share. A pallet weighs 750 pounds. It's cut into splits to you will need to bust it smaller for use in your egg. Let me know brother husker.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Wish I lived in Pensacola.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I totally agree with @SGH‌, cherry gives a great smoke ring to beef and pork and gives it a nice shuttle flavor. Its my favorite wood to use. I stay away from mesquite, because it gives me heartburn and I really us hickory. If I use hickory I mix it with apple, cherry or peach to help mellow it out. Another favorite is pecan. Below is a brisket I did with cherry wood.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @tcracing‌
    I actually live near Biloxi. Are you close?

Status- Standing by.

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    @SGH‌ I live in Panama City, Fl.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @SGH‌ , so who are you cheering for right now in the Egg Bowl?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌
    Ms State. How about you? I'm more of a Alabama fan. Always have been.

Status- Standing by.

• Ladeback69
    Options
    I have no dog in the fight just wondering and like seeing a good game. My Missouri Tigers won yesterday so I am wondering who they well be playing next week. Either way its going to be a tough one for them next week.

Kansas City, Mo.