Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cen-Tex - Need some brisket advice from the master

Options
So I need some brisket advice from the Captain. I was lucky enough to find a choice grade packer from HEB a few weeks ago for $1.99/lb, which I thought was a pretty good deal. But it's a little smaller than I'm used to @ 10.5 lbs, and I figure it will be closer to 9.5 after i trim it. So I need to have it ready to serve at 6 p.m. Saturday, and want at least an hour of FTC rest time plus time to cool before slicing. I'm planning to go pretty stock on this one with PS legs up, drip ban raised above PS, rubbed with Cow Lick or Bad Byrons. Oak chunks of course!

Here's the dilemma. Like you, I've had better success with not getting too dry by going around 265 grid instead of 225. But at this weight, I'm a little concerned about going overnight at 265 and having it done too early the next morning. So my options are:

1. Get up early and have the egg ready to put the brisket on by 6 a.m. - go 275 grid, and hope for an hour per pound.
2. Put it on the night before around 10 and go 225 grid, then crank it up in the morning to 265ish and go from there.
3. Put it on the night before at 265, let it go, and if it finishes early, go with a long FTC. I have a good cooler and have held temp on pork butts 8 hrs before, so i think the brisket could be ok this way.

What do you think? Also, do you still go V-rack in the pan with water? I've never tried that...have always done the standard grid on the PS legs with the pan sandwiched in between, but I have a hard time finding a shallow enough drip ban that's wide enough.

Welcome everyone's ideas if anyone else wants to chime in!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    He made a killer one for Salado Saturday.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    Options
    I have got to get up to Salado sometime!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Centex may have gone dark for a while. Do you have a blower system?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
    I'd go number one at 5am.
  • cmkratt
    Options
    @henapple - I've got a digiQ. So you'd go #1 and get up earlier? That might require an extra round of bourbon in the a.m. You may be on to something.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you have a digi and a good cooler I think I would go with option 2, but dat's just me.   I don't like to start drinking until 7 AM so I would be really bored for 2 hours. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would put it on in the morning at 265 and let it roll. Adjust temp up at 2-3 pm if needed. I think it will cook in 9-10 hours at that and you can bump it to 300 for 30-40 minutes if you need to push it through.

i don't do the v rack anymore but I did for years and it works. I have an adjustable rig so I use that.

have fun

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    No dog in this fight but reminded of a Jimmy Buffett verse-"My whole world is waiting behind door #..."
    Enjoy the ride!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cmkratt
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Cen-Tex - many thanks

Smokey - I hear you on Option 2, and I love overnight cooks, but I've gotten frustrated too many times by dry brisket. 265 just seems to work a lot better for me! Try some irish cofee before 7 and you may never go back!

Think I'll document this one and let everyone know how it goes...more to come.
  • henapple
    Options
    My 2 best where done at 220 overnight. ..
  • cmkratt
    Options
    That's the frustrating thing. I love the overnights, but my briskets don't.
  • cmkratt
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No dog in this fight but reminded of a Jimmy Buffett verse-"My whole world is waiting behind door #..."
    Enjoy the ride!
    See, now you're inviting someone to create #4. There's a lot of doors on this ride...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    You are so right about the number of doors; friggin briskets definitely cook at their own pace regardless of what you plan/desire.  10# cooks in 10 hours/same cook parameters-next time 15+ hours.  I guess with that brief bit of frustration-just grab one and go.  The odds of it working out like you would plan are probably a bit better than winning Buffett's money in the NCAA tournament-but not much! :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ helped me on my first one and I cried tears of joy after I got into it. I went to Salado last week and pay homage to him and he's passed out with Darth Maul cup in hand.

Look like I have to make a trip to Austin and raid his house.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ helped me on my first one and I cried tears of joy after I got into it. I went to Salado last week and pay homage to him and he's passed out with Darth Maul cup in hand.

Look like I have to make a trip to Austin and raid his house.
    bring it.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    What you may or may not know, is that Cen-Tex has cooked his best briskets with blood alcohol levels high enough to put a horse down. So start drinking as soon as its trimmed and you put the knives away. 

I am no brisky expert, but I think I cooked my best one yet a few weeks back with a similar target serving time as yours. Was working that weekend, so overnight was not an option, I had a 12# prime packer which I put on at about 8am, 300ish, AR, indirect with water pan (I think). Done in about 7 or so hours, then FTC. It jiggled all sexy like and made me weak in the knees. A little longer in the cooler will not harm it in any way in case you get done earlier.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    Options
    I like it when Centex jiggles
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Listen to Centex.  He's kind of a big deal around here.

Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    What you may or may not know, is that Cen-Tex has cooked his best briskets with blood alcohol levels high enough to put a horse down. So start drinking as soon as its trimmed and you put the knives away. 

I am no brisky expert, but I think I cooked my best one yet a few weeks back with a similar target serving time as yours. Was working that weekend, so overnight was not an option, I had a 12# prime packer which I put on at about 8am, 300ish, AR, indirect with water pan (I think). Done in about 7 or so hours, then FTC. It jiggled all sexy like and made me weak in the knees. A little longer in the cooler will not harm it in any way in case you get done earlier.
    This is all true. If I'm not passing out, or if fires aren't going out, or food/pit probes aren't switched on the maverick, or I'm not out at a concert yelling at my kids over the noise on my phone to check the temps, they never seem to turn out right. Seems they thrive on chaos
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I can affirm everything CT just said.
  • henapple
    Options
    @Eggcelsior. . No haircut?
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Unfortunately no. I pressed hard but the barbers refused.
  • henapple
    Options
    Slacker...
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Even CT said no. Hindsight 20/20, I'd probably look more Van Gogh than I intended if I had convinced them.
  • henapple
    Options
    If he said no..I wouldn't. He's crazy.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    When I am the voice of reason in any situation, **** has gotten very weird. And it was. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited March 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    When I am the voice of reason in any situation, **** has gotten very weird. And it was. 

and it might be time for rehab. You do not want centex to be the lower boundary. If you find that, you have gone way too far.  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

henapple said:

This. Consider yourself lucky.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Damn CT. What the hell was my wife thinking when she said yes? I don't know if you were the bad influence or I dragged us down. This won't end well, but I'm excited.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2014
    Options
    ? I don't have a digi or any blower system on my large. I have done several overnights with no temp issues. I always pull all the guts and shop vacuum everything 100% and load up with lump and my wood of choice , set temp and sleep like a baby and wake to an egg at very close to the set temp from night before. Am I simply lucky or would a digi be a good investment? If so what is the best IYHO. What say you???? CenTex, henapple, eggcelsior, caliking, Bueller, Bueller.....???
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL