Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Butt was a success

Options
itsmce
itsmce Posts: 410

The first pork butt I tried to do low and slow. I was impatient and ended up with good tasting pork, but it wasn't particularly pull-able. Darn.

After some research on the forum, decided the next one I'd try "turbo" method since it's difficult for me to do an overnight cook. Fire started at 7:30 a.m. Had the dome temp stable at 300 or a tick more and the hunk-o-meat went on at 8:30. I was shooting for about 350 for the cook, but I was going to leave it unattended until my home-from-college son woke up to help me monitor the temp so I was afraid to get it to 350 and then leave the house.

By 10:45 when afore mentioned son finally surfaced, he reported that the temp was 350. He tweaked the dials a couple times for me over the next few hours while I was at work. I plucked the pork from the mighty LGBE after about 6 hours. Did the whole Foil, Towel, Cooler thing for a couple hours, and oh my...was it good eats?!?!

My setup was platesetter legs up, grid, butt in my v-rack set in a foil pan to catch the drippings. Do most folks do indirect for such a cook?

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Think all do indirect.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Look's good! Well done.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I've been a turbo fan butt yesterday did one at 225F for ten hours until it reached 200F, let it rest an hour, pulled and it was fabulous! The bark was 'more feminine' than turbo and since it was primarily for a group of ladies it resulted in plenty of hugs and kisses for me!