Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard Method

Options
Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I must have gone wrong somewhere. I would swear that my 1st time or two of searing with mustard went well. But the past several steak sears have imparted my steaks with a mustardy coating. I think my dome temp has been high enough (800 or better which you'd think would burn the yellow stuff off). Maybe I'm using too much mustard?[p]HELP. Thanks.

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Tractor,[p]Are you saying the meat doesn't have the crust or is there too much crust? When I do chops and steaks, I use a very light sprinkling of cornstarch before I put the mustard on just enough to coat it. Then I apply my spices and a light sprinkling of "Milled Cane" sugar for a charcrust like coating. I grill at 600° and get a nice crust that is firmly attached with only a tint of yellow underneath. There is no flavor of mustard in the meat. [p]Zip

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Tractor,
    The mustard taste goes away as it cooks. Its the vinegar that helps tenderize and the other stuff gives a nice crust when it cooks but if you taste it - then you had too much or didn't cook long enough for the amount you had on it.[p]Tim

• Tractor
    Options
    Zip,
    Man, that sounds GREAT. Thanks for the tips. I especially like the cornstarch & cane sugar aspects to your method. I must be grilling too hot & therefore not long enough. Back to the drawing board...[p]Tractor

• Tractor
    Options
    Tim M,
    Thanks for the info. I'll experiment a little and see what happens.[p]Tractor