Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have not had luck getting a sear for steak on my egg...

I can do a mean Pulled Pork...overnight cook mastered...but cannot do a good steak?
Any help on getting a nice char woudl be appreciated...I do not have a cast iron anything by the way
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Have you done a reverse sear?

I usually cook mine at raised direct at about 350-450, depending on where I catch my temp.  Let it go to about 100 internal, which is roughly 4 min a side, depending on the temp and the steak.  Pull it, and open the vents.  The egg will go to 700 in a couple of minutes.  Put the steak back on at the fire ring level for 45 sec to a minute a side, and it should hit right about 130 or so with a nice sear.

NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    First question. How hot does your egg get when you leave it wide open for a while? I usually sear at about 600 degrees but I have done it as high as 1200. If you can't get temps in that range you have an airflow problem.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I have been doing reverse sear for the last year or so with great success.  I put them on indirect at about 250 degrees until 110 degrees or so.  Takes about 20min on a thick steak.  Then I take everything off, take the plate setter out, and open the vents all the way.  I put them back on for about 2 min/side with a good sear.  I have recently gotten a CI skillet that I am waiting to add into the mix for the sear.  I have cooked some sandwich rib eyes on it with a great sear.  I think it's going to be the way to go.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What is your set-up for searing?
  • Cast Iron grill helps, it maintains the heat and puts the "grill marks" on the steak.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Try blotting off any surface moisture that may be on the steaks before putting them back on to sear
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    All the advice here is good.  I typically either do a reverse or a T.Rex Method.  The thing I always struggle with is whether or not to leave the dome open during the sear.  If you leave it open, you are ensuring that the heat is only being applied to the one side and you are not further cooking the inside of the steak.  The disadvantage is that you can't be precise about your sear temp with the dome open.  You can just basically bring the egg up to say 700 degrees then cook with the dome open, but I don't know if the temp would still be 700 once you leave the dome open.  That said, dome open ensures a true sear; cooking with the dome closed--even if only for a couple minutes per side--risks "cooking" the steak as opposed to searing it.  What do you all do?
    Southern California
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I do it closed so that the temp will continue to increase during the sear, but I also limit the amount of time I'm searing and I take it into account temp-wise when I pull my steak initially (I don't really let it get over 100 before I sear).
    NOLA
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    I worry about cooking dome open at those high temps when the fire flares up. I might need to get over it.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I go open. I've read where on a hi temp sear it's better to flip a lot instead if just once.

Dare I say it... MANGRATES
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Do you have a spider or another way to get closer to the coals? Also make sure the temp is not only high but that you let the grid get that hot too- it takes longer than just temp

Greensboro, NC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Make sure your lump is almost to the top of the fire ring. This will get the burning lump closer to the soon to be seared steak without a spider. If you have a CI grid put it on the fire ring if you like grid lines, other wise put the setter on the ring, grid on the setter, cook at 250º-275º indirect until within 10º-15º of desired final temp. Pull the steak, tent it to hold some warmth, remove the grid and setter and DMFT if you have it on. Put the grid on the fire ring and open the bottom vent fully. 
    Two schools of thought here, once temp 600º-700º is reached, drop the steak on after you have dried the surface with a paper towel, cook for 1-2 minutes a side, pull and serve immediately. Second option is to leave the egg open and flip every 30 seconds or so until desired colour is reached. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Here is what I do for a medium cook. Let me first say I have never tried a reverse sear or anything so do what you think sounds best. I get the grill to 600-700 and cook one side for 2-3 min (depending on thickness), flip them and cook for another 2-3 minutes, and flip them again and close all the vents and cook another 3 minutes. These are Sam's Club steaks...very thick. I don't measure the internal temp of the meat which is against the norm of what I am reading but it has always worked really well for me.
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    Both TRex and reverse sear work ok... I personally like the reverse sear results better, plus it's much easier to raise dome temp than to lower it for a TRex.

On either method I allow for 15 - 20 min rest between phases.

I always sear with the dome up, with the temp at least at 750-800 (tough 600F min works ok)... 

One thing that might be preventing you from getting a nice crust can be moisture, it has to evaporate before the meat can start to form a crust and it tends to “steam” the meat a bit… try patting the steak with a paper towel (it won’t affect how juicy your steak comes out don’t worry) and rubbing it in salt generously before searing.
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • Wow...awesome comments guys...I will see what happens...tmmrw but lots of "food for thought"..ok could not resist the bad pun!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2014
    I have two comments. You get a FANTASTIC even all-over sear with a cast iron skillet that's blazing hot. Can't remember if I used butter or not.

Another thing I like to do...put the steak RIGHT ON THE COALS TILL IT'S CHARRED, AND FLIP. The ashes won't stick to the meat; if a little does it flicks right off.
    Judy in San Diego
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Don't forget your salt and pepper. Heavy dose
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

I have two comments. You get a FANTASTIC even all-over sear with a cast iron skillet that's blazing hot. Can't remember if I used butter or not.

Another thing I like to do...put the steak RIGHT ON THE COALS TILL IT'S CHARRED, AND FLIP. The ashes won't stick to the meat; if a little does it flicks right off.
    Great advice Judy.  I have tried both, and honestly I think you get a better sear with the cast iron skillet than the "caveman" method.   I definitely recommend butter in the skillet.  I like to use clarified butter if I have some made,but regular butter works fine as well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2014
    Take a small grate and place on top of the coals. Yes flat on top. As said blot the steak to take of moisture. Using at least a one inch steak place it on the grate for app 45 sec or so per side. Pull after both sides and cook to temp up top raised or even indirect. This can been be done by just laying steak directly on coals called "caveman". **** after posting I just noticed Judy's post.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Try a reverse sear. Start off cooking low and slow, pull it off and open all of your vent wide open. Get your Egg 700+ degrees. Then kiss it with some fire. You will DEF get a good sear that way. 

Here's how:
  • Ok so here's what I did....1'1/2 inch strip loins
    loaded up charcoal
    Opened top and bottom vents
    got temp to 600F
    3 min on each side (6min)
    Then closed everything down for 4

Got med rare nice smoke...almost there with the grill marks...
    THANKS for all the great suggestions!

•  

Great advice Judy.  I have tried both, and honestly I think you get a better sear with the cast iron skillet than the "caveman" method.   I definitely recommend butter in the skillet.  I like to use clarified butter if I have some made,but regular butter works fine as well. 
    @SmokeyPitt next time you go to the butcher's and get your beef ask him to give you any trimmings he cuts off it and render that in a skillet, substitute the butter with it and tell me what you think.  ;)
  • Ok so here's what I did....1'1/2 inch strip loins
    loaded up charcoal
    Opened top and bottom vents
    got temp to 600F
    3 min on each side (6min)
    Then closed everything down for 4

Got med rare nice smoke...almost there with the grill marks...
    THANKS for all the great suggestions!

For 1 1/2" strips you get a great tender, even medium rare on the whole stake and a nice sear by doing either TRex or Reverse Sear, my way is reverse sear:

1. Roast at 250 - 275 till IT reaches 90*
    2. Flip and continue roasting till IT gets to 115*
    3. Rest your meat under a foil tent (do not wrap!) 15 minutes (this allows connective tissue to turn into gelatin and tenderizes the steak)... while your meat is resting remove the metal cap and open the bottom vent completely and allow temp to get at 600+ (great results at 750*)
    4. Toss back and sear each side for 2-3 mins until you get the crust you want.
    5. Serve immediately, no more resting needed.