Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New from New York and looking to purchase

Options
asuckiel
asuckiel Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Figured I would introduce myself, just got approved yesterday after 2 failed attempts. My name is Adam and I am located in Queens, New York. I I am looking to purchase a Big Green Egg in the next few weeks and wanted to know if anyone in the NYC area knew where to get the best price.  I am trying to get  Medium, but if the large was a little cheaper  I could be easily persuaded. 

I have only used a Egg twice but that is enough for me to want to get one.  Can't wait for my till my first cook!.

-Adam 

Comments

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Go with a large, you won't regret it. Can't help with where.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Welcome.
     Upcoming Eggfest in Pennsylvania http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/1064.htm?greeneggers=1. Check in with Fred's they are just outside Reading PA. They should have eggs for sale.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @CharlesManeri is on Long Island, I believe. He may have an idea.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    asuckiel  yes I live on Long Island I got my 1st Egg from a place in Holbrook called The Propane Guys  the address is 967-7 Main Street Holbrook N.Y. 11741 as far as price the Egg is at least here in N.Y. basically fair traded from what I'm told but the people at the propane guys are a very nice bunch of people they are very fair and accommodating I would have no problem recomending them to anybody their phone # is (631)676-3662 the owners name is Mark he's a great guy 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Best prices will likely be found at eggfests, certainly better than anything you're likely to find nearby. I had forgotten about Fred's Music fest. Dizzy Pig has one in Virginia and the Ga. Mountain Fest is popular.

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• asuckiel
    asuckiel Posts: 6
    edited March 2014
    Options
    revolver1  What is your reasoning for me to go with a large over medium price difference from when I looked around at price was about 250-300.  To me that is sizable, I know this isn't going to be a cheap hobby. I would love to hear your opinion and others about going with a large over medium.  
    I have a relatively small yard and will be garaging the egg when not in use.  

Charlesmaneri  Thank you, coincidentally I just emailed them and they advised me to call, offered a real nice deal. It will defiantly be worth my drive.

-Adam 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    @asuckiel‌ mention my name and just maybe you will get a discount I sent a friend he threw my name out their and got I think 10% off hey it's worth a try
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    The large is the most common size, so there are the most accessories made for the large.

Also, you will want the space for larger cooks. 
    NOLA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    asuckiel  Let me know how you make out with The Propane Guys on the purchase of you Egg if they give you any discount and if you were happy with them 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    What is your reasoning for me to go with a large over medium price difference from when I looked around at price was about 250-300.  To me that is sizable, I know this isn't going to be a cheap hobby. I would love to hear your opinion and others about going with a large over medium.  
    I have a relatively small yard and will be garaging the egg when not in use.  

I think most forum members would advise starting with either a large or x-large.  Many who have started smaller ended up going out and getting a L or XL.  They are just far more versatile, and even if you don't cook for lots of people right now you will end up cooking for lots of people once you get started.  In the end, I think it's a choice of paying 300 more now or paying 1000 more later when you go out and buy a large after already buying the medium.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    what coffeeguydenton said ... also, please be reminded that the initial egg purchase price is the cheapest part of the eggdiction, don't ask how we know  :D
    canuckland
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Call Fred http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/1064.htm?greeneggers=1 and see if he will have any deals on large eggs. The place is a trip; it's a BBQ/music store. He has just about any rub or sauce that you would want plus the best charcoal selection I have seen. He also sells Italian pizza flour, lots of smoke wood, and too many accessories. It would be a bit of a hike for you, but worth it if you can find something else along the way and make a weekend of it. (Are you a guitar fan? Martin Guitar Works has a fantastic tour.)
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    @asuckiel  I'm with the other guys on the large.  If you can pick one up at a fest you'll be spending about the same as what a medium would cost.  The medium has always been the "bastard calf" when it comes to accessories.  With a large you will have multiple options for raised grids, stones, etc.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE