Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza gone way wrong

Options
I have attached a few pictures from my first and last attempt at cooking a pizza on the egg.  As the pizza cooked the ash and smutt caked the pizza in a black cloud.  What do you think I did wrong?  My only guess is that I started the charcoal to low in the pile, and as it burned it burnt up instead of down.  

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Others do differently but I light the top. Any left over grease from a previous cook?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    How long did you let it burn/come up to temp before putting the pizza on? And at what temp were you trying to cook at? Agree wit @henapple that you may have lit the coals to low and didn't wait till all of the VOC's burned off before putting on the pie. Also like he said possible leftover grease?
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What was your setup?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    To me, it looks like you didn't heat up the lump long enough and whats on the pizza is ash or there was something in your lump, 
    When i do mine i cook at 400 for regular crust and 700 for thin crust.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• BckPorchGriln
    Options
    +1 on @DMW
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2014
    Options
    You didn't put the lump on top of the pizza did you?? :P

On a serious note- for pizza you need to make sure the fire is burning nice and clean.  Light the egg and let it burn at around 500, until there is no more smoke.  May take 30-45 minutes depending on the type of lump you use.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Is it ash on top or just a burned pizza. From the pic it looks like it just over cooked.
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mickey: "That pizza looks great! You should try my wings!"

Jokes aside, I'm with the comments about the time from lighting to cooking.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I f you saw a cloud of ash, did you stir the coals during the cook?

Search the forum for pizza threads and you will be able to see what setups people use. Its very doable, and you'll enjoy the results if you're a fan of pizza. 

Some basic tips include:
    -Dome temp 600ish

- Platesetter legs up, then grid, then pizza stone. If you go platesetter legs down, you may want to search the forum for Rutland gasket too, since you will likely fry the original gasket. You'll need an air gap between the top of the platesetter and the pizza stone. 

- Build your pizza on parchment paper, so it will slide easily onto the hot stone from your peel. Some remove the parchment after a few minutes.

- Go easy on the toppings, so they have a chance to cook before the crust burns.

-Get the pie as high up in the dome as you can.

There are many variations of pizza setups. It may take some trial and error. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @caliking... I thought it was just the opposite regarding the plate setter legs up vs. legs down and the gasket?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @caliking... I thought it was just the opposite regarding the plate setter legs up vs. legs down and the gasket?
    Good eye! I corrected my post. Thanks :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    caliking said:
    Good eye! I corrected my post. Thanks :)
    No problem... that's what I'm here for!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I defintely wouldnt let it be your last pizza cook, cause when you get it right it will be well worth it.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Very unusual, never heard of ash/smutt going airborn.  Your using "hardwood lump charcoal" and you let the charcoal burn for a good 30 minutes before putting on your pie?  Anyway, you got some good tips here, give it another try.

So are you located in Columbus, Ohio?  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Options

If what the picture shows is soot, then you probably didn't wait long enough for the charcoal/wood to start burning clean (you need to get rid of all those volatiles and minute particles)...

If it's not soot, I would way you over shot the cooking temp/time...

I regularly use Plate Setter legs up + Grid + Pizza Stone, let the temp reach 600+ (you can go all the way to 750) and hold it there for 30 minutes before starting to cook. Each pie takes about 7 minutes to cook this way.

Cooking the pies at 450 would give you a little more time to avoid overcooking at the expense of crust thinness / crunchiness.

Don’t give up, I actually messed up my first as well, but got better real fast, ok by the second try, and consistent excellent pies starting with the third try.

A few extra hints:

1. Use plenty of cornmeal (instead of plain flour) as a spacer between your pizza stone and your crust to avoid stick ups / burnt crust.

2. If cooking at 600+ place your toppings first and cover them with a little cheese so they don’t crisp up.

3. Fresh arugula, basil or any other herb (some exceptions like spinach) should be placed on the pie right AFTER it’s cooked.

4. When you take the pie off the cooker, place it on a wooden or cardboard tray or platter so it can absorb part of the moisture and let it rest a couple of minutes before cutting it.

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @ColumbusBGEgg don't give up, pizza from the egg is awesome. Just refine your set up, as others have said, the egg needs to get up to temp and stay there for a while, so that everything PS, pizza stone are all good and hot. Then get the "za" on and I turn mine a couple of times while the cooking is taking place, it just prevents a burnt crust if you are running higher heat. Also be sure to burp the egg, to save any hair on your knuckles and arms. It can flash back at the higher heats.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You burnin straight coal in the egg?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @Egglegal_Alien that is a dayum purdy lookin pie! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Options
    Thanks @smokeypitt !
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I'm with the others, don't give up that's half the fun! Make sure your burning of the bad smoke, adjust your setup if need be and try again. My family loves just about any pizza off the Egg.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • columbusBGEgg
    Options
    From what i have taken from the conversation is that i need to try again making a few modifications.  i know for a fact that i didn't let my charcoal heat up for more than 20 minutes, and i had the plate setter legs down, not leaving much of an air gap between the stone and the plate setter.  i cooked my pizza at roughly 500deg. 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Legs up legs down seems to be a Chevy vs Ford conversation here on the forum. I cook mine legs down with tinfoil balls about 1/2 thick to separate the stone from the plate setter and it works perfectly. photo 95EF83E5-3CBD-406A-9E46-75F5D1D59606_zpsidq4s1co.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    OPPS! Oh well, you live you learn.... I screwed up so many pizzas when I first started.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Did my wife cook that for you?  :))
    Beaufort, SC
  • PoshPatios
    PoshPatios Posts: 41
    Options
    I have attached a few pictures from my first and last attempt at cooking a pizza on the egg.  As the pizza cooked the ash and smutt caked the pizza in a black cloud.  What do you think I did wrong?  My only guess is that I started the charcoal to low in the pile, and as it burned it burnt up instead of down.  
    No disrespect but that (pics) is HILARIOUS! I fudged up my first pizza as well. I didn't use a stone. I have yet to redeem myself but will post pics when I do. :)
    What is this? A center for ants!?
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have to say, I have never seen a pizza look like that.  Usually if you overcook the crust goes from brown to black, not grey.  There also appears to be a lot of dirt on the pie.  Were you blowing air through the vent trying to get it hotter?

As others have said, details on your setup will probably help us pinpoint your problem.  I have made many pizzas without a problem, Plate setter legs up, grid, then the stone - I raise it an additional 4" using flour pots to get it higher in the dome. Always build the pie and cook on parchment, cook at 450 - 500 and always a success.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • wkearney99
    Options
    My only guess is that I started the charcoal to low in the pile, and as it burned it burnt up instead of down.  
    What kind of material were you burning?  Was it wood charcoal?  Which brand?
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Whatever you do don't give up.  When starting up everyone here has screwed something up at one time or another.  Sometimes more than once.  By giving up before a couple of tries you limit what you can do on the Egg.  That is the real crime, not a screwed up pizza.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I have to say, I have never seen a pizza look like that.  Usually if you overcook the crust goes from brown to black, not grey.  There also appears to be a lot of dirt on the pie.  Were you blowing air through the vent trying to get it hotter?

As others have said, details on your setup will probably help us pinpoint your problem.  I have made many pizzas without a problem, Plate setter legs up, grid, then the stone - I raise it an additional 4" using flour pots to get it higher in the dome. Always build the pie and cook on parchment, cook at 450 - 500 and always a success.

Hey cooking bob.........that almost looks better than a Nick Tahoe cheese burger garbage plate....

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI