Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit temp controller....

Options
Anyone ever test if one if the many pit temp controllers save lump? Basically what I am asking is can I convince swambo to let me get it by the amount of lump I will save.....

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Is she on here?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SensFan
    SensFan Posts: 41
    Options
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

If they saved lump, I sure wouldn't sell them......LOL. 

They do not save lump, but they can save you from a flameout over night or while you're at work, and thus losing $50 worth of meat.  That's what convinced me when I bought mine 5 yrs ago.  I never have that fear again now.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I would go with the argument that you won't accidentally let the egg get too hot, thereby overcooking and ruining the meat by having a temp controller.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I would go with the argument that you won't accidentally let the egg get too hot, thereby overcooking and ruining the meat by having a temp controller.

And since it was a higher temp, you used more lump and wasted money, right?  That will strengthen the argument.

Then tell her you're getting a deal on it from buying it through me......I'll extend the "St. Patrick's Day Sale" (which is actually perpetual, but leave that out.)

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I only bought it because it was in sale! That seems to justify my wifes penchant for clothes and shoes. Might work here. And Jonathon @stlcharcoal does have some good deals on things BBQ. Email him, it will be worth your time.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • HokieEgg
    HokieEgg Posts: 13
    Options
    What stlcharcoal said. Throwing away a $50 brisket due to the flame going out is what finally made me buy one. I had done many overnights and never had a flameout until a few weeks ago. Hopefully that was the first and last time!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    HokieEgg said:
    What stlcharcoal said. Throwing away a $50 brisket due to the flame going out is what finally made me buy one. I had done many overnights and never had a flameout until a few weeks ago. Hopefully that was the first and last time!
    Yep.....and it just wasn't the money, it was my weekend party plans being totally screwed up.  I don't remember what I did, but it turned into an active grilling spread for 20+ people vs. a smoked brisket ready to go (more time to spend with guests.)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I wish I had learned about turbo cooks before I bought a temp controller. I doubt I will ever do another all-nighter. Put a butt on the other day about 11AM. Had pulled pork for dinner. An expensive lesson.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut