Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit controllers

Options
I'm now ready to invest in a pit temperature controller... I think. Would you guys be kind enough to share with me the pros and cons of the controllers that work best on the BGE - large? I decided I need a controller now because I'm getting ready to do my first baby back rib adventure. I have the rig extender. I am fearful that, without the controller, my efforts at a long, slow cook might not work. Maybe a turbo cook, without the controller, would be safe but I didn't know if I could keep the temps around 225 for the long slow... without a controller.. Many thanks!

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    FWIW, I don't use one. I'm not knocking those that do or want to. I just don't find it that difficult to hold temps at any range.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

I did a pastrami the other day.. went to use my auber controller, and found some wires on the fan broken.( no wonder it didn't work at thanksgiving).  anyway.. I  just set the lower vent 1/8 th inch, and the daisy wheel petals open, it held 250 for 4 or 5 hours with no adjustments. 

I have an xl, but I have heard that all eggs will hold a temp for a long long time.  

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I have a controller, but only really use it if i'm doing a long cook where i'm away (at work) or sleeping (overnight cook).  If you build a good fire, the egg will hold the temp pretty close for hours.

It's a security blanket, so I do find it helpful when I need to use it.  Do I regret buying one? No.  Could I egg without it?  Yes.  If you're the type that is always fiddling with your settings, it may be what you need.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2014
    Options
    A couple of quick tips- I agree you shouldn't feel like you need a controller.  Especially for baby back ribs.  Also there is no reason to go down to 225.  If they egg is holding at 225.  I have a controller, and I rarely bother hooking it up for ribs; only for all day/overnight cooks such as butts/briskets. 

I don't think I have heard a bad thing about any of the controllers as far as basic operation.  They all seem to do a good job of basic temperature control.   Some models just do basic control- they keep the pit (the egg) at the set temp.  Other models have many more bells/whistles.  Here is a quick run down. 

Basic Control (Pit only)
    Pitmaster IQ-110 - Note this has no display
    BBQ Guru Party Q- Runs on batteries, no plug
    Auber instruments

More advanced- Food and pit probes, open lid detect, ramp down features, etc
    BBQ guru digi-q dx2
    Pitmaster IQ-120

Remote monitoring/wi-fi capability
    BBQ Guru Cyber- Q WiFi
    Stoker - I think this is currently the only model that allows you to control multiple pits with optional items. 

Check here for lots of great reviews and detailed info:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Pit controllers are nice, but not necessary. Skip 225 and bump it up to 250 grate or 275 dome temp and you will be fine. I own two, the Auber and the Flame Boss. FB is more $, but has more options and I personally think it does a better job than the auber. In fact I'm probably going to give my auber away to my friend next time I see him.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    UXB    I have the BBQ Guru DX2 and love it you set it and forget it it's that simple ,if your going to buy one I recommend you buy from firecraft.com they have the best price and they stand behind what they sell 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    Options
    Heatermeter... if you're confortable soldering a PCB and like projects. Hands down the best feature set and support with the exception of the lack of ability to control multiple pits. It's the only one I'm aware of that can use a draft based mechanism to take advantage of the BGE's natural convection.
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    Of course it depends on what you want. One of my best friends has the pit master and it works perfectly. I have the Stoker Wifi and I love it. I agree I mainly use it for overnight cooks, but i have been awakened by alarms I set on a maverick so many times over night that for me it is worth having so I can sleep. I can also run errands and such and check the wifi so I know what is going on. Good Luck
    Suwanee, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've not done a long cook with the egg yet and I am not going to need a pit controler to smoke ribs all day, but my look into one when I want to do a pork butt. Give it a try without it first and see. I did a 2 hour cook at 225 to 245 and it was easy to keep it locked in as long as I didnt open the lid.. They were pork tenderloins and they came out great.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • StellarEvo
    Options
    I got a DigiQ DX2 a couple weeks ago for my birthday and it has increased my Egg usage to a couple times a week instead of once every couple of weeks.

It seems to have really helped get my temperatures up to where I want to be and held them there without struggle.  I've stayed away from cooking brisket because I was concerned about screwing it up but I tried it when I got the controller and it turned out pretty good.

I had my Egg for over a year and got a lot of usage (ribs included) without having to worry about having a controller but after having it and using it a few times...I love it and want to use it all the time.

My only wish for the DX2 is that I could see the temp without having to be next to the grill.  I should have faith in it and trust there is no need to constantly monitor the pit and food temps I like did before I got the controller.  I know the Stoker and Cyber-Q have that capability but I'm not sure it is worth the extra $$$.
  • UXB
    UXB Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks to all for your useful information. Weighing all of my personal needs, and with the help of Jonathan Heslop of The Saint Louis Charcoal Company, I bought the FlameBoss and am overjoyed with the results. Jonathan will give you the best deal out there on any of the controllers and can be quite helpful with general information. Do NOT buy from Amazon until you've checked Jonathan's prices. jonathan.heslop@gmail.com. I am not a friend/relative of his, just a supporter after using his services. He was proactive and reached out to me after seeing my question. After speaking with him I cancelled my order with Amazon and saved 100 smackaroos. Regards!