Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just purchased a new large egg.

Options
keepervodeflame
keepervodeflame Posts: 353
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I am new to your forum. I live in Prescott Az. and have been cooking on a Vision Pro C for a little over a year. As I have gown in my experience and ability to cook on a kamado, I have also grown in my desire to own an old school classic quality kamado. After doing a lot of research, I selected a BGE. My new grill will be delivered either today or tomorrow. I purchased a Sole compact metal table to hold my new egg.  I talked with Tom at CGS and was told that my Vision AR spider combo will fit and work well in the BGE. Do you guys have any advice or suggestions for a new BGE owner?

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have hit the ground running. Only 2 cents I can add is get a Thermopen.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Welcome....This forum is the greatest tool you will ever need..Such great folks and always happy to help..Look forward to seeing some of your cooks...Enjoy
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    six_egg said:
    Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have hit the ground running. Only 2 cents I can add is get a Thermopen.
    And keep your camera handy so that you can document and share your cooks with us.

Welcome to the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    keepervodeflame  my advice is don't be afraid to try new things keep reading the forum and ask questions you can also learn a lot from youtube watch the videos on Big Green Egg before I got my 1st Egg I spent about a week watching youtube and watched every video .
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    The first you should do is go on tasty licks bbq website and check out the smokin` guitar player`s videos for the Big Green Egg. That is how I started to learn to cook on an Egg.My first cooks were baby back ribs and spotchcock chicken.Then look on youtube for more vids.But before you start, buy lots of beer.Congratulations on your new Egg and enjoy the journey.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and what follows is a great reference for all things ceramic; http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Welcome. 
    We see lots of Pro-C's here in Canada as Canadian Tire carries them (don't know why they don't sell the classic, much better grill IMHO). The BGE is much tighter when you snuff it out, There is no real air leak like around the starter slot in the Pro-C.
    To snuff an egg, take off the DFMT (daisy wheel) if using it, put on the ceramic rain cap and slide the bottom vent closed. Walk away. 
    If you are using an electric starter, I suggest you start the egg on the top towards the front. After 8 minutes or so, take the starter out and close the lid, dial the vents to expected temp and give it time to stabilize, 30-45 minutes or two beers if you drink slowly. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    Welcome. 
    We see lots of Pro-C's here in Canada as Canadian Tire carries them (don't know why they don't sell the classic, much better grill IMHO). The BGE is much tighter when you snuff it out, There is no real air leak like around the starter slot in the Pro-C.
    To snuff an egg, take off the DFMT (daisy wheel) if using it, put on the ceramic rain cap and slide the bottom vent closed. Walk away. 
    If you are using an electric starter, I suggest you start the egg on the top towards the front. After 8 minutes or so, take the starter out and close the lid, dial the vents to expected temp and give it time to stabilize, 30-45 minutes or two beers if you drink slowly. 
    Thanks Skiddy, 

I read in BGE's  users information  material, that I should do a couple of cooks at 350 to seat the gasket before I run a high heat cook. I usually shut down a high heat cook in two stages: first closing the bottom vent completely and leaving the top vent open a crack, and then closing the top vent fully when the temp has dropped below 300.  I was told that this procedure protects the fire box. Is this necessary in a BGE, or do I shut it down completely in both low and slow and high heat cooks? I stopped using an electric starter to start my fire when my second one stopped working.  I have been using a cotton ball soaked in alcohol dropped into a cardboard toilette paper holder placed down into my lump pile, will that be effective in the BGE, as well. or do you guys prefer to use another technique?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I shut mine down all at once; top cap and close the vent door. As far as lighting, I use two wads of paper towel with a little oil poured on them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Welcome. 

Thanks Skiddy, 

I read in BGE's  users information  material, that I should do a couple of cooks at 350 to seat the gasket before I run a high heat cook. I usually shut down a high heat cook in two stages: first closing the bottom vent completely and leaving the top vent open a crack, and then closing the top vent fully when the temp has dropped below 300.  I was told that this procedure protects the fire box. Is this necessary in a BGE, or do I shut it down completely in both low and slow and high heat cooks? I stopped using an electric starter to start my fire when my second one stopped working.  I have been using a cotton ball soaked in alcohol dropped into a cardboard toilette paper holder placed down into my lump pile, will that be effective in the BGE, as well. or do you guys prefer to use another technique?

I prefer a mapp gas torch for lighting.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163280/okay-new-eggheads#latest

There's another great thread that escapes me. Someone will post it.

Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• coffeeguydenton
    Options
    +1 for the MAPP torch for lighting.  And you can definitely shut it all down at once.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I pour rubbing alcohol on my lump and light it that way. Works great every time. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Weed burner for Large and Mapps for the Mini. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    Wow Mickey that is quite a flame. Remember, I live in Prescott Az  where wildfire is a constant threat that  demands some different techniques and a little more time. I light a small fire inside a toliet paper tube with an alcohol soaked cotton ball. As soon as I see the smallest flame, I close the dome and use the vents. It usually takes me an hour to get to a steady temp that is ready for food. I cook in a fire safe area but try my best to avoid all sparks outside the kettle. Just the way it is out here in the Southwest. 
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    @Mickey does that put the gasket at risk?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Mickey
    Options

The other two Eggs has not got gaskets and no problem with this one.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Wow Mickey that is quite a flame. Remember, I live in Prescott Az  where wildfire is a constant threat that  demands some different techniques and a little more time. I light a small fire inside a toliet paper tube with an alcohol soaked cotton ball. As soon as I see the smallest flame, I close the dome and use the vents. It usually takes me an hour to get to a steady temp that is ready for food. I cook in a fire safe area but try my best to avoid all sparks outside the kettle. Just the way it is out here in the Southwest. 

I have not seen anything about your area having any more problems than Central Texas to burn down. You just have to do what you think is right for you. Now when we are in a real dry time (all summer) I keep this to a minimum. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• shadowcaster
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Egg, it is a life changer 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've used a toilet paper roll and aluminum foil for...uh, recreational use but not starting a fire. One hour up to temp certainly helps with alcohol consumption.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Mickey said:

The other two Eggs has not got gaskets and no problem with this one.

I can see the headlines:

Mickey goes "Commando"

=))
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX