Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many of your cook spare ribs straight thru with no foil?

Options

OK guys, tomorrow I want to cook a small brisket flat (3lbs) and a rack of spares.  I typically use the 3-2-1 method and personally love it (have used it for years).  I get ribs that are close to falling off the bone but not falling off.  I have also heard of the turbo method which I have not tried but would like to.  Just not sure I would like to nor should I be cooking ribs and small flat at 350 for this particular cook.  I am having a couple friends over for NCAA basketball tourney tomorrow and really want a care-free cook without having to worry about all the foiling of ribs, etc.  So, my question is....How many of you guys cook spares just on the grate with no foil, etc.  If so, how long, what temp?  What temp is to high for a brisket-rib cook?  Do these type of ribs turn out just as tender as 3-2-1? Really looking for a temp that I could cook both at with no worries and have a good end product.

Thanks for all your help and I hope I can across ok and you guys understand what I am asking.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I don't wrap brisket or ribs but, I always do a packer and never just a flat; so I can't really speak to the flat issue. 250* would be an okay temp for ribs and brisket. Again, not sure if this would apply to your 3lb flat.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I wrapped on my first rib cook and never again. Give it a try.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I cook ribs no foil, indirect at about 275-300 and they come out great.  No peeking!  They're usually pretty close to done in about 3 hours.
    NOLA
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    But what's the highest temps I can get away with?  250 grate? 275? 300?

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I think a lot of your questions need to be answered by how much time you'll have to cook.  If I want a no frills cook for spares then it's around 250-270 right on the grid for 5-6 hours no foiling and they will turn out just as good.  Throw the brisket on too, why not. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Agree with all above. I'm not sure you can get "fall off the bone" ribs without foil. I don't care for those.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mimauler
    Options
    What is your cooking time frame that gives us a base line for temperature.  If you have 5-6 hours then you can have a lower temp which to me is perfered, if you have 3-4 hours then you need to go higher.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I cook ribs no foil, indirect at about 275-300 and they come out great.  No peeking!  They're usually pretty close to done in about 3 hours.
    +1. i'm too lazy to foil/spritz/mop/etc. Sometimes I use a water pan. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • corey24
    Options
    I would say I would put on meat between 7-8 and would like by at least a late lunch, 1:00-2:00.   So I guess 5ish hour cook......

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2014
    Options
    No foil Turbo is the only way for me. 2 hours. No spritz and no water pan. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mimauler
    Options
    At that time then I would go for a 270 dome temp, I would think that you'd be done in that time frame. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    At our house, SWMBO likes fall off the bone, mushy, sauced ribs while I prefer a dry rib. When we have back ribs, she usually gets her way, I foil those as the BB's we buy have a fair amount of fat and meat on them and they seem to need time in a braise. STLs are done dry rub, no foil, 275º grid, typically 4-5 hours indirect. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I run X-0-0 with ribs unless someone wants fall off the bone.  And as noted by @Little_Steven the only way I think you can get there is by using foil. 
    Now for the flat-they are problematic regarding the cook.  Sometimes a triple or solid double, other times a single or strike-out.  You can run at around 260-280*F on the dome (good temp for the ribs) and will likely see about 1 1/4-11/2 hrs/# although each behave on their own.  The key is to keep from drying out.  I run fat side down for the cook.  When you get to the finish-line (probe with no resistance in the thickest part of the flat) if you sense that it is dry, then FTC with some beef broth til ready to slice and serve.  Slice against the grain and only when ready to eat as it will dry out right before your eyes.  If too dry for you , then chop up and mix in with some Q sauce and make great Q sammiches.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Foil, who needs foil?   B-)

imageimage
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @cazzy - i remember when you posted those ribs. Those look amazin. 

wheat was your cook temp?
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • corey24
    Options
    @cazzy what was your method for those.  They look as good as any I have every seen.....Period!!!!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Those do look incredible @Cazzy.   

Here is the thread...KISS method ribs:

Cliff notes:
    St Louis style spare ribs (3 pack Swift brand from Costco)
    Salt and pepper
    255 dome
    They were ready a little after 5 hours.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    255 dome. I seasoned the ribs, but them on the egg, and opened it 5 hours later. It was like they warped down from rib heaven! :P
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    cazzy said:
    255 dome. I seasoned the ribs, but them on the egg, and opened it 5 hours later. It was like they warped down from rib heaven! :P
    were you able to re-produce the results? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • andres1987
    Options
    cazzy said:
    damn those look amazing. Will have to try them like that next time instead of doing the 3-2-1 method
    Austin, Texas
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    GATABITES said:

cazzy said:

were you able to re-produce the results? 

Yes and no. That's more in the terms of the flavor. When I used S&P again, my ratio was off, so they were too peppery. The tenderness and moisture was just as great though. I jump around with my seasonings, mostly because I really need to get rid of all my rubs so I can go straight homebrew.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Last Sunday's 2 hour turbo, indirect no foil!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I do them 350 indirect, peach wood chunks.  No rib rack. One hour bone side down, one hour bone side up.  The flip helps for even color for me. Check for bend test for doneness. Single bite through tender.  Everyone who has had them loves them. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I don't wrap anything up….. EVER. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    cazzy said:

those look really good. I always wrap mine but I going to try it your way next time.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Options
    From Sunday. No foil, indirect for 5 hours.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I don't use no steenkin' foil!   :))
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Falling off the bone is at the heart of the matter here, and methinks it's over-rated. Unless you're in a competition, there's nothing wrong with a little tug and a little chew, it usually means more rib flavor. Of course not wrapping means less labor and material. On most all of the BBQ competitions you see on TV they do something akin to a rub and then a 3-2-1 with a sauce toward the end and then a glaze prior to turn in. But that's showmanship. Even Johnny Trigg says if they're just cooking 'em at home for eatin' they just cook 'em. What works best for me is something akin to 275F indirect for 2-3 hours, a little faster or a little slower is ok, too. Sauce them toward the end or put the sauce on the table. Done deal! 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    IMO ribs with a slight tug are better.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.